dhcp

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

dhcp

Postby cbcs01 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:11 pm

After updating the system with the latest version, Beagle Board Blank no longer processes the address it gets using DHCP. The system has been running ArchLinux for months. On the DHCP server, I see multiple sequences of DHCPDISCOVER, followed by DHCPOFFER, then DHCPREQUEST and finally a DCHPACK. The sequence is repeated 6 times before it stops. I have the same problem on a Raspberry PI system that was updated last week.

Any ideas what is going on here? It used to work without any issues in both cases.
cbcs01

Re: dhcp

Postby pepedog » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Does adding
TimeoutDAD=60
to /etc/netctl/eth0 help?
pepedog
Developer

Re: dhcp

Postby dfarrell » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:07 pm

I have the same problem, this is what I see (beaglebone black A5C):
From dmesg: libphy seems to be trying to search for multiple phys on boot, it fails on address 1, probably ok.
The PHY at address 0, does not seem to be ready at the point dhcpcd tries to enable the interface. The schematic shows PHY mode(2) sets autonegotiate on and I know this can take several seconds, perhaps this delay is a problem?
If I "systemctl status dhcpcd@eth0.service" from serial login, the previous failure is shown but then DHCP succeeds.
Without DHCP the eth0 interface is active as I see RX packets increment via ifconfig eth0, so PHY & MAC are ok.
I did add the TimeoutDAD=60, I also added TimeoutDHCP=60 to increase from the default 30.
After cold booting multiple times, this failure seems intermittent, sometimes I get the IP address.
I also see other strange things, "ls" can take several seconds to respond as can serial and ssh responses. Maybe the kernel is choking on other things and this also influences dhcp.
dfarrell

Return to ARMv7h