[Cubox-i] hdmi breaking wifi

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

[Cubox-i] hdmi breaking wifi

Postby slycat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:10 am

Been fighting with this box for some time and think I have narrowed down the culprit to all my woes:

After running a successful setup of transmission & xbmc via wifi, a reboot led to the wifi not coming online.
Clean install, up and running like before, but one reboot with hdmi connected kills wifi.
Upon reboot I get errors that pop-up on TTY console along the lines of
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'brcmf_cfg80211_escan Connecting status (3)
brcmf_cfg80211_scan scan error (-11)')
Checking ip link and wlan0 was down. After ip link set wlan0 up, brcmcfg80211 throws a few lines of errors, and now wlan0 says "unknown" rather than down or up.

However, disabling xbmc and rebooting w/o hdmi connected I get wifi running

Any ideas why hdmi could be breaking brcmcfg?
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Re: [Cubox-i] hdmi breaking wifi

Postby Geoff » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:19 pm

I've had my Cubox-i4pro running for a month or so. I also find that the wifi is flaky, in that it runs for a couple of hours and then starts triggering kernel tracebacks. I decided to disable the wifi, since I can use ethernet anyway. I assume you have the firmware-brcm43xx package installed. There are a couple of related systemd services: brcm43xx-firmware.service, brcm43xx.service. I'm not sure if both of these need to be enabled.
Geoff

Re: [Cubox-i] hdmi breaking wifi

Postby slycat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Yes, I don't believe wifi would function without the broadcomm firmware. However, without starting or enabling any of the services wifi is running (as we speak, in fact). I could even plug HDMI in now and still have everything function (except the output resolution is crap unless I reboot with hdmi connected & tv on).

From what I've read the firmware services are only needed to be enabled if using bluetooth. Also that the built-in bluetooth causes wifi to become flaky as you explained
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Return to ARMv7h