ODROID-C1 , LXDE and laggy window behavior/dark wm content

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

ODROID-C1 , LXDE and laggy window behavior/dark wm content

Postby MrRee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Just thought I would share my solution to having smooth(ish) window drag/movement on the ODROID-C1 with LXDE.

I initially looked at xcompmgr, although this has the effect of adding transparency, which does not fair well if you launch Kodi - teh video content also becomes transparent - so this was not the solution,

I went though various attempts to fix this - including installing metacity (this ha a compositor built in) the results of which were the same transparent Kodi content.

Same with Compton and others.

The fix was there at the start all along , to use xcompmgr, but with the -a flag "xcompmgr -a" this causes xcmpmgr to " Use automatic server-side compositing. Faster, but no special effects."

If you add "xcompmgr -a" in the composite section of LXDE then this should solve the issue of laggy windows, I also suspect , but yet to try that this will assist where a window manger is unusable due to being "too dark"

** EDIT1:

Stand-alone window mangers seem to prefer 'xcompmgr -n' tested on "openbox" and "JWM" - LXDE seems to prefer 'xcompmgr -a' not sure why.

Hope this helps

Jase
MrRee

Return to ARMv7h