Zedboard Boot Fails - Unable to readfile uramdisk.image.gz

Zedboard Boot Fails - Unable to readfile uramdisk.image.gz

Postby andrewmkeller » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm

I just got a brand new Zedboard. The SD card that comes with it boots just fine, but I cannot get a freshly made ArchLinuxARM image to boot on the board.

I followed all of the installation instructions and made all the appropriate adjustments to the instructions as seen in other posts, but it just can't get past this step in the boot process. It is something to do with the last line "** Unable to read file uramdisk.image.gz **." Any thoughts that anyone can offer would be greatly appriciated.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
U-Boot 2013.10 (Jan 13 2014 - 14:44:23)

Memory: ECC disabled
DRAM: 512 MiB
MMC: zynq_sdhci: 0
SF: Detected S25FL256S_64K with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 64 KiB, total 32 MiB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: Gem.e000b000
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Device: zynq_sdhci
Manufacturer ID: 3
OEM: 5344
Name: SL08G
Tran Speed: 50000000
Rd Block Len: 512
SD version 3.0
High Capacity: Yes
Capacity: 7.4 GiB
Bus Width: 4-bit
reading uEnv.txt
** Unable to read file uEnv.txt **
Copying Linux from SD to RAM...
reading uImage
3896936 bytes read in 367 ms (10.1 MiB/s)
reading devicetree.dtb
9159 bytes read in 14 ms (638.7 KiB/s)
reading uramdisk.image.gz
** Unable to read file uramdisk.image.gz **
')
andrewmkeller

Re: Zedboard Boot Fails - Unable to readfile uramdisk.image.

Postby andrewmkeller » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:06 am

It turns out that the ZedBoard has a flash memory that persistently stores the uboot environment variables. I did not complete the "Configure U-Boot" portion of the installation. I got distracted by the error :oops:.

After setting up the sdboot and bootargs variables and saving the environment variables to flash memory as per the instructions, the image booted wonderfully well.

I wasn't able to figure out how to copy the sdboot value directly to sdboot_orig so I ended up doing a copy and paste:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'setenv sdboot_orig '<copy and paste original sdboot value>'')

One side note. To get the FPGA to program automatically on boot, I added the following command to the sdboot variable sequence of commands:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
run mmc_loadbit_fat
')
andrewmkeller

Return to Xilinx