Odroid C1 Installation help!

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Amlogic SoC.

Odroid C1 Installation help!

Postby AetherMichael » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 am

:idea: :oops:

Kinda embarrassing to ask really, I need some help here.
I tried to install the Odroid C1 for arch linux several times already and to no avail.
I feel like maybe I have OS obsticles here because I am a Fedora 20 user and also windows user. I have both available to use. The instruction set provided doesnt do it for me.
A little background here...
I have two associates degrees, one in Computer information Technology, and one in Electrical Engineering Technology, ( The two specialize in robotic automation for factories and such )
I spent all day on it and was completely unsuccessful.
I took it to my brother-in-law to help get arch setup on it, he is a lifelong programmer and deticated fedora linux user with a bachelors degree in Computer Science.
We both worked all day on it and was indeed unsuccessful as well.

We got the Ubuntu beta installed on it and the work in progress Android, Both of which can only be best described as "Sad" and "shortbus".
I have at my disposal Fedora 20 and windows 7 desktop.
I am not one to usually suggest procedures of any kind, I would like to see Arch Linux become a stronger possibility here. Its just plain better and more stable. Can someone who {OWNS A ODROID-C1} and knows the process here please just start from scratch, and get all initial software setup correctly please just create a "Odroic-C1-datehere-.IMG" file basically exactly like the raspberry pi setups use?
There is no person around that has an issue installing a .IMG file to an SD card. This would be so great for all of us and would make setting up ARCH linux easy on any platform, Windows, Fedora, Arch or even Mac. This would be very easy to use.
Suggested method is described here....
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... /README.md

This thing is great and fast, but seems to take us days just to go thru the multipartition installations and getting everything to boot up. Its ridiculous. An IMAGE.IMG file would make daisies pop out of the ground, the sun would come up and birds everwhere would start chirping! ;) Maybe even a musical would start! PLEASE!!! ;)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ <----- This tool can make .IMG files of existing MicroSD Cards. There are other tools to do it as well. You may know a better way.

Ubuntu and Android are less stable then Windows 98 right now and take a crap load of knowledge and skills just to get on a MicroSD card and then require troubleshooting to get working. Not user friendly at all.
:!: :idea: THE OVERALL IDEA IS TO MAKE ARCH LINUX REALLY RIDICULOUSLY EASY FOR EVERYONE TO INSTALL AND IN ESSENCE REPLACE UBUNTU AS THE MAINSTREAM OS ON THIS DEVICE :!: "All you have to do is build it and they will come!"
AetherMichael

Re: Odroid C1 Installation help!

Postby puddlebunny » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:02 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', ' ')Can someone who {OWNS A ODROID-C1} and knows the process here please just start from scratch, and get all initial software setup correctly please just create a "Odroic-C1-datehere-.IMG" file basically exactly like the raspberry pi setups use?
There is no person around that has an issue installing a .IMG file to an SD card. This would be so great for all of us and would make setting up ARCH linux easy on any platform, Windows, Fedora, Arch or even Mac. This would be very easy to use.

I have to agree! Took me all week to get my Odroid-C1 running with Ubuntu by the Korean instructions they provided. IMG FILES WOULD BE GREAT! :roll: why isn't anyone doing this already I wonder?
puddlebunny

Postby kmihelich » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:44 am

No image files will ever be provided by us, and any offered by others will result in an unsupported installation. We will not address any problems from such an installation.

If creating and formatting a single partition, extracting a tarball, and running a bash script is outside your comfort zone, Arch Linux is not the distribution for you. These are elementary system administration tasks.

To quote our front page:
Arch Linux ARM carries forward the Arch Linux philosophy of simplicity and user-centrism, targeting and accommodating competent Linux users by giving them complete control and responsibility over the system.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby Holzhaus » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:17 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('AetherMichael', 'K')inda embarrassing to ask really, I need some help here.
I tried to install the Odroid C1 for arch linux several times already and to no avail.
I feel like maybe I have OS obsticles here because I am a Fedora 20 user and also windows user. I have both available to use. The instruction set provided doesnt do it for me.

I just read through the installation instructions and can't see a problem here (It doesn't even requires you to know how to use fdisk, because it exactly tells you which keys to press). You did not bother to give ANY details what exactly your problem is.

The only thing missing might be how to find out what block device to use: If you don't now what to use for /dev/sdX, try the "lsblk -f" command, which outputs a nice list including file system labels, etc.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'I')f creating and formatting a single partition, extracting a tarball, and running a bash script is outside your comfort zone, Arch Linux is not the distribution for you. These are elementary system administration tasks.

True, although I wouldn't be too harsh to new, inexperienced users. I always considered ArchLinux as a distribution that supports its users in learning how their OS works. On the other hand, the will to gain knowledge about their systems is a prerequisite for everyone who wants to become an ArchLinux user.
Holzhaus

Postby mikesl » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:39 pm

I think, the main obstacle (not only for novices) is in creating the partition on SD.
I am on my Debian, this is what fdisk says (need to start fdisk -u to have the units in sectors):

Disk /dev/sdX: 3 GB, 3997486080 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 486 cylinders, total 7807590 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Creating partition:
Command (m for help): n
Partition type
e extended
p primary partition (1-4)
p
First sector (default 63s):
----->
THIS is the source of trouble, needs to be 2048. First time I fail to install ARCH, because UBOOT rewrites partly the first partition. After explicitly specifying first sector as 2048, all is as it should be. Starts fine...

Please, rewrite the installation instructions at http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... /odroid-c1
to reflect the fact that many users will try that instructions from different distributions, not just ARCH. Otherwise, the instructions are readable and clear ;-)
mikesl

Postby Holzhaus » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Good point. I wonder why the website isn't on github. That would make it easy to write a pull request for this.
Holzhaus

Return to Amlogic