Buying advice: ODROID-C1 vs Rapsberry Pi 2?

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Amlogic SoC.

Buying advice: ODROID-C1 vs Rapsberry Pi 2?

Postby ivanhoe1024 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi all!!
I'd like to buy a Raspberry Pi 2 or a ODROID C1, but I do not know which one to pick! I want to install archlinuxarm and koi, and connect a USB HDD with all my movies and tv series, and attach it to the TV. They have the same price, but different specs... Can you people please give me your advices about which one to buy? The odroid seems more powerfull (even if it's a A5 and not an A7?? Differences? :?: ) and it has already a IRDA receiver, but I do not know if it's supported as well as the more famous Pi2... For instance, it seems that last linux kernel of c1 is 3.10 instead of 3.18 for the Pi2...
There are also differences between the two GPUs? And video/audio support? Like problem with some codecs, or AC3, ACC audio, video in 1080p in h264 or divx??

Thank you all for your attention!!

PS. I don't know if this is the right forum section!
ivanhoe1024

Re: Buying advice: ODROID-C1 vs Rapsberry Pi 2?

Postby pdenhaan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:49 pm

Choose the Raspberry Pi 2 because it is much more mature (only the CPU cores and DRAM have changed). That makes it more stable with most of its wrinkles ironed out - that process has only just started with the C1. The community is obviously much larger and will remain so as far as I can see. As you already noticed, they track recent kernels (3.18); Odroid supports only the Ubuntu 14 LTS kernel (3.10).

Choose the Odroid C1 because it is noticeably faster even than the Pi2, has an IR receiver onboard, and decodes H265 (people are reporting that it actually works; I don't claim personal experience). Some say that the video quality is sometimes inferior to the RPi; probably teething problems as the GPU is quite capable.

For home theatre use, it may be relevant to you that HDMI CEC does not work on the C1 due to a hardware problem. It's just a signal level issue and a hack may be forthcoming, but soldering is likely to be required. No doubt HardKernel will revise their hardware in due course.

Disclaimer: I own both boards running Arch, but do not primarily use them for home theatre purposes. Hope this helps.
pdenhaan

Postby ivanhoe1024 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Thank you! Really appreciate your answer! If you own both, you may probably give us some opinion about how much faster is in real world tasks the C1 vs Pi2? And the GPU, is there a real difference between the two?

PS. May someone explain please what is the problem in decoding video in H265 (or any other format)?? Is not just a matter of software? Is there some hw capabilities required? In this field, what are the differences between the two??
ivanhoe1024

Postby Holzhaus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:00 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'M')ay someone explain please what is the problem in decoding video in H265 (or any other format)?? Is not just a matter of software? Is there some hw capabilities required? In this field, what are the differences between the two??

Theorethically, you can decode h265 in software. Afaik, ffmpeg has experimental support for h265, but software based decoding always takes a lot of CPU. Thus, the RPi2 will never be able to play back h265 videos smoothly. The C1 has a hardware decoding unit and playback is fine.

You might also want to check this out: http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/02/02/ ... omparison/

And Benchmarks: http://hsto.org/files/7e9/6c7/39e/7e96c ... 3cdd41.jpg
Holzhaus

Postby ivanhoe1024 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:07 pm

Nice one, benchmarks! I do not understand much of those, but if I have to judge according to how much green I can see, seems that some Pi's asses are being kicked! :shock:
ivanhoe1024

Return to Amlogic