RPi B3 not advertising BT dongle

Raspberry Pi 2

RPi B3 not advertising BT dongle

Postby keithspg » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:07 am

I have a PiB3 and it is fully updated. I was able to get it to advertise and was able to get bluealsa working with the onboard BT . Yea! Well, this Pi must be on wifi, so the sound was choppy. I uninstalled the pi-bluetooth (AUR) package and plugged in a BT dongle. From bluetoothctl running on the Pi, I can scan and see my phone. From my phone, I never see the dongle. Since I cannto see it, I cannot pair or trust it. Any idea what may be keeping it from being seen? I do notice that if I 'scan on' it will 'see' my phone and stop scanning (or appears to) no other MACs show up. If I try to 'scan on' a second time I get:

[bluetooth]# scan on
Failed to start discovery: org.bluez.Error.InProgress

I've duplicated my steps from a Pi2 which works reasonably well. I can pair, trust and connect and play music. The only difference is that this one is on wired and has no onboard BT. I also did it with a Pi B+, but with this B3, no joy.

The only difference I notice is that with the Pi2, I have this listed when I do a "systemctl | grep blue" which is not running on the Pi3.

system-bluealsa\x2daplay.slice loaded active active system-bluealsa\x2daplay.slice

Regards,

Keith
keithspg

Re: RPi B3 not advertising BT dongle

Postby keithspg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:36 pm

What I found out here is that I needed to stop the brcm43438.service in order for the btusb dongle to advertise.
keithspg

Return to Broadcom