[RPi 3B Rev 1.2] "Weekend with Arch Linux ARM" Series

Raspberry Pi 2

[RPi 3B Rev 1.2] "Weekend with Arch Linux ARM" Series

Postby JRCharney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Good morning everyone,

I think now might be a good time to pass along the series of blog posts I've been working on showing my journey getting ALARM set up on one of my Raspberry Pis.

I'm hoping to get some feed back for what I've written so far. The reason why I am posting in this forum is because these instructions might only apply to the current device that I am working with.

Right now, I am trying to purge about 700+ tabs in Chrome on my regular computer as I think of what to write for the fourth part of my series.

Since this is a Raspberry Pi 3B Rev 1.2, I am more focused on functionality than performance. On the other hand, I'd like to fiddle with the aesthetic just for fun.

• Part 1: The Burn - Putting ALARM on a microSD card.
  • Part 2: The Setup - All the stuff root needs to do.
  • Part 3: Installations - What to install. (Anything missing?)
  • Part 4: Configuration - Some of the basic stuff that needs to be configured as well as any installation that probably should have been done in Part 3. (I'm currently working on this, so no link yet.)

Constructive criticism is accepted. (So, be gentile.)

Also, is it just me, or are there like a couple of things that need to be fixed in phpBB? Like it would be nice to use inline monospace font to describe code and packages. That and I had to bump up the size of the font in that list above just now. (Tiny text!)
JRCharney

Re: [RPi 3B Rev 1.2] "Weekend with Arch Linux ARM" Series

Postby Lander1979 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am

I'm up to part 3 and following along with my 3 B+ booting from a USB Toshiba 120GB SSD. As an old hat at Ms Dos and Windows but relatively new to Linux I've been struggling to get this and the 64 bit version up and running. I'm learning a great deal from your tutorial and it has helped allot.

One small thing, there needs to be a link for part 3 at the end of part 2.

Other than that, excellent work and thank you so much for making these guides.
Lander1979

Postby Lander1979 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:37 am

In part 3 under the "Essential Tools and Languages"; when I enter "pacman -S bin-utils", I get the "target not found" error.

In the "XWindows" section; "pacman -S lib-xmu" errors with target not found.

In the "Powerline" section; "pacman -S powerline-vm" errors with target not found.
In the "Powerline" section; "pacman -S zsh-theme-powerlevel-9k" errors with target not found.

In the "Chromium" section; "pacman -S libfreetype" errors with target not found.

In Directories; I'm not quite sure how to enter this or where each line starts or finishes? If I type "$ for d in bin Documents Downloads Desktop Music Pictures Projects Public Templates Videos; do mkdir $d; done" I get "-bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'do' ".

I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here as I've never run such complex commands in a shell before.
Lander1979

Postby Lander1979 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:30 am

Running through the package list (part 3) again trying to nail down the missing packages.

bin-utils does not exist, however there is a binutils package (without the dash), so this one is a typo you need to go and fix.

lib-xmu does not exist, however there is a libxmu package (without the dash), another typo you need to go and fix.

powerline-vm does not exist, however there is a powerline-vim (with an i), another typo you might need to go and fix.

zsh-theme-powerlevel-9k does not exist, however there is a zsh-theme-powerlevel9k (without the dash), you know the drill.

ttf-freefont does not exist as it is now called ttf-font.

libfreefont does not exist, however in the forums there is mention of dependancy to freefont2 in libbluray. Is this the one I should be installing?

Ok, I'm happy that I "think" I have installed everything on the list. Again the only part I left out is the making of the multiple directories, the instructions may be obvious to seasoned users but please remember this is a tutorial for newcomers and it would be great if this part was broken down and explained in a little more detail so that someone who has never done it before may succeed at it and at the same time learn something new.

Oh and by the way, this time round I installed this on a full x86 arch on my desktop pc ;)

Again, great guide, thankyou very much, I eagerly await the next installment.
Lander1979

Postby JRCharney » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm glad these posts have helped. I will make those corrections.

Now here's one other thing that I will add to Part 2 that may be controversial but would highly recommend: Shutting off DNSSEC.

While I understand the need to use DNS, the fact that every time I tried to boot up and connect to any network, system-resolved.services would reject my connection, it became necessary to shut off DNSSEC.

To do that, you need to do the following.
$this->bbcode_list('1')
  • sudo vim /etc/systemd/resolved.conf (You can use whatever other editor like nano or emacs. I'm a vim person.)
  • On the line below [RESOLVE], insert DNSSEC=false. You should save all those other commented lines just in case there is a better solution.
  • Save the file and quit the editor (for vim folk that means type the ESC key and :wq. You should should probably restart your computer so that /etc/resolv.conf can refresh.

• So why do this? Why NOT use DNS (for the moment)? Well, it turns out some ISPs aren't fond of using DNSes apparently despite their security for some reason and won't let you use them.
    JRCharney

Postby JRCharney » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:18 pm

I think I may have also missed a step somewhere because I can not use the ping command without invoking sudo first. I was pretty sure regular users could use ping without sudo to check their internet connection. The steps for allowing a regular user to do some sudo stuff was in part 2.

I took a couple of Cisco classes the past couple of years and while UNIX and Linux don't have as many adminstrative levels as Cisco's operating system, it did offer me some guidance as to why it would be important to let some users use ping.
    JRCharney

Postby JRCharney » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 't')tf-freefont does not exist as it is now called ttf-font.

ttf-freefont does exist for ALARM.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'l')ibfreefont does not exist, however in the forums there is mention of dependancy to freefont2 in libbluray. Is this the one I should be installing?

It's not libfreefont, it is freetype2.
    JRCharney

Postby Lander1979 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 pm

The issue with ping requiring Sudo seems to be a privilege escalation issue.

Fixed by reinstalling the iputils package; sudo pacman -S iputils

Source;
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146249

Could this be why the wiki says to use bsdtar instead of just tar? It could be that tar has muddled up some of the file perms.

This might also explain the DNS errors. I'm going to do a reinstall using bsdtar instead of tar for the file system extraction and see if things change.

Not sure if this works but it's worth a shot for anyone who doesn't want to do a complete reflash; https://linuxhint.com/reinstall_all_pac ... rch_linux/
    Lander1979

Postby Lander1979 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:38 am

OK so I can confirm that the issues with ping needing sudo, and any other security related issues are all being caused by the improper extraction and install of the tarball using tar. When I follow the install wikki to the letter and use bsdtar there are no permission escalation issues and everything works as it should out of the box.

There are no DNS errors when using wired connection so this appears to be an issue with the wireless method. I'm investigating other methods of getting wireless up to see if I can find a viable workaround.

Also might be handy to set up the mirrorlist before pacman -Syu to avoid errors.

EDIT: Looks like an update just rolled out that fixes the DNS issues. Wireless is now working without disabling DNS. I also changed the resolv.conf to google's 8.8.8.8 DNS during my attempts to get the wireless to function without disabling DNS. The update scrubbed this and reset it to a new/original value, so looks like the update is fairly inclusive of the wireless module.

Before the update rolled out; I went through the main arch install wikki and threw everything that had to offer at the Pi as well to see if I could shake the wifi loose. Of the things that may prove useful is setting up locale.conf and timezone symlinks.

I also went through the fstab wikki and manually edited /etc/fstab with my file system's UUID's to prevent them from being assigned at random during boot up.
    Lander1979

Postby Lander1979 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:45 pm

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba ... tomization

A nice touch would be to modify the bash root prompt to be red similar to the x86 arch iso virtual install environment.

PS1='[\[\033[1;31m\]\u\[\033[0m\]@\h \W]\$ '

Make sure you set your locales.conf BEFORE using pacman. I am seeing installation steps in some of the packages that are using the locales I have set.

Another package that is useful to have is yay from the aur. Needs to be downloaded compiled and installed with git.
    Lander1979

Next

Return to Broadcom