[solved] RPI4 deadlocks on memory on low btrfs disk space

Raspberry Pi 2

[solved] RPI4 deadlocks on memory on low btrfs disk space

Postby justinkb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:10 am

Getting "system is deadlocked on memory" errors after rebooting after updating to the latest kernel and bootloader packages (using the pi 4 specific kernel).

Updated both of them at the same time, so unsure which of the two is the culprit. Will try to roll them both back later in the afternoon (it deadlocks after a minute or two, getting progressively more unresponsive, so I have to revert the updates immediately after reboot then sync and reboot again), but thought I'd let you know about this serious issue here

(Couldn't find any obvious bug tracker)
Last edited by justinkb on Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
justinkb

Re: Latest kernel + bootloader update messed up my RPI4

Postby graysky » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:31 am

Anything in dmesg or journalctl when deadlocks occur? How much RAM do your Pi have curiously? I have the latest packages running on 4B with 4G and another with 8G without issues.
graysky
Developer

Postby justinkb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:20 pm

I'm gonna hook it up to another monitor in a bit (currently connected to tv without any peripherals attached, all interaction with it is via ssh (and remote control)), so I'll have that information shortly. It's a 2GB model, but have another 4GB model lying around, which I can transplant the sdcard into. Unlikely to be an actual memory shortage issue since I haven't changed anything else about the setup recently and it has been running perfectly fine at <30% memory utilization maximum for months
justinkb

Postby justinkb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:47 pm

Ok, looks like it's caused by the changes to the kodi-rpi package in the 7 and 8 PKGBUILD revisions of 19.0

edit: Edited title accordingly
justinkb

Re: Kodi update messed up my RPI4

Postby justinkb » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:16 pm

After a reboot I can no longer reproduce the problem. Suspect it was kernel related after all, specifically to the btrfs file system driver. After freeing up space on my btrfs-formatted drive, the issue no longer occurs (had about 15GiB left out of 6TiB storage on it). I'll mark the title [solved]
justinkb

Return to Broadcom