Can't get Arch Linux to run on my Raspberry Pi 2

Raspberry Pi 2

Re: Can't get Arch Linux to run on my Raspberry Pi 2

Postby sdjf » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:36 pm

When I finally get my Pi 2, I am sure that if I follow the official instructions provided, the file systems will not be created properly because if I followed the instructions numbered 3 and 4, they make no sense. Visiting the page in a standard text browser from my Pi, yields the following:

3. Create and mount the FAT filesystem:
mkfs.vfat /dev/sdX1 mkdir boot mount /dev/sdX1 boot
4. Create and mount the ext4 filesystem:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdX2 mkdir root mount /dev/sdX2 root

What people might do, to make sure everything is created properly, is mount the microSD card on their Linux boxes after completing the process, and examine the contents to make sure they look right.

Those of us with Linux experience can probably guess correctly how to break down the one line commands into three commands, but people not experienced with Linux will have no clue, those instructions should have semi-colons or <br> tags inserted, so they are accessible from all browsers.
sdjf

Postby mitchejj » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:53 pm

I can only imagine how many times people mess up with the curl command & the required flags.
mitchejj

Postby CraigEsk » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Unfortunately sdjf this is not my issue, my old Pi is just running as a web server so I usually have a more mainstream browser open on an SSH client machine if following instructions. Also, am fairly sure I would have caught that ;) It all seems to go fine until I stick the card in the new Pi.

I was kinda hoping this was a more common issue, at least then I could just wait for the next release! Guess I will just have to keep banging my head against the brick wall until it falls down...

Haven't had a chance to try out mitchejj's suggestion yet but will report back when I do.
CraigEsk

Postby CraigEsk » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Through all my efforts before, different OSes, cards, etc... I didn't twig that the one constant was the card reader! It must have been "helping" somehow when it was writing the boot sector! Different reader, now a very happy boy :)
CraigEsk

Previous

Return to Broadcom