Splash screen at boot

Raspberry Pi 2

Splash screen at boot

Postby ionothanus » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:48 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to do this: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7133

Plymouth-lite runs - if I run it from a tty it shows the splash screen perfectly. But nothing happens at boot.

My systemd script status is apparently working perfectly:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' plymouth-lite-start.service - Show Plymouth-lite Start Screen
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/plymouth-lite-start.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (exited) since Thu 1970-01-01 00:00:05 UTC; 45 years 1 months ago
Process: 135 ExecStart=/usr/bin/echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink; /usr/bin/echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink; /usr/bin/chvt 1; /usr/bin/ply-image /usr/share/plymouth/splash.png (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 135 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: /system.slice/plymouth-lite-start.service

Jan 01 00:00:06 alarmpi echo[135]: 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink; /usr/bin/echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink; /usr/bin/chvt 7; /usr/bin/ply-image /usr/share/plymouth/splash.png
')

Anything reasonable I can think of changing (the parameter to chvt, etc.) does absolutely nothing. At boot, nothing related to the image I want appears at any time.

I also tried making my own fbi boot script, to the same effect.

I'm thinking something about using the framebuffer pre-login is no bueno.

So:
- Does anyone know how to make this work on the Pi 2 and the current release of Arch Linux ARM?
- Does anyone know what might have changed in the last year, and between the Pi and Pi 2, that has caused this to break?
- Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions for alternative ways to get a boot splash going? There appears to be no fbsplash package and I'd like to avoid recompiling the kernel if possible.

Thanks very much for any help.
ionothanus

Re: Splash screen at boot

Postby ionothanus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:01 pm

I tried the steps in the link I provided with an original Raspberry Pi Model B running the latest Arch and the splash screen works just fine. So something is different somewhere, in the kernel or somewhere else, between Arch on the Pi 2 and on the original Pi. Any guesses on where I should look first?

Thanks.
ionothanus

Postby sdjf » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:30 am

Are you sure you have installed the arm 7 kernel on your Raspberry Pi 2? I don't know about splash screens but that is one thing that has changed, have to use different versions of packages for original Pi's and Pi 2. You may know this, but just in case...
sdjf

Postby ionothanus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:28 am

As it turns out it's now working on the Pi 2, I suspect my latest round of updates did something - that or I was doing something dumb the last time I tried this.

EDIT: it's the first step in the guide that no longer works:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'Y')ou need to change plymouth-lite-start.service to this
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ExecStart=/usr/bin/echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink ; /usr/bin/echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink ; /usr/bin/chvt 7 ; /usr/bin/ply-image')

Getting rid of everything but the ply-image command works, albeit with a cursor-sized chunk missing from the image - but I can live with that. (Can't believe I didn't try that earlier.)

Also, commenting out the "After=" line in that file also causes it to show the splash screen much earlier in the boot process.

Thanks for the reply.
ionothanus

Return to Broadcom