Desktop Environment on rpi2

Raspberry Pi 2

Re: Desktop Environment on rpi2

Postby ILMostro » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:49 pm

Well, judging by other wikis as well as this forum, the preferable method of managing spam seems to be authenticated users' edits. Arguably, with a growing interest in the arm-specific linux development community involvement should be on the rise as well, as evidenced by this very thread. :geek: Ultimately, however, the only way to gauge the preferable method of controlling wiki edits and potential spam content is on a "live" system; so, the first step is to get it up and going, and then curate, edit, etc.

It could/should follow the same template as the ArchWiki, imho, for the sake of potential future "changes" in the project's status vis-a-vis ArchLinux proper; and, because the ArchWiki seems more organized and "contemporary" than some other popular and/or linux wikis. Based on the current similarities of the UI of archlinuxarm.org and archlinux.org I'm assuming that would be the general consensus among the leadership of the project. Therefore, some of the foundational work could be adapted from the ArchWiki itself, moving the arm-specific content from there to ALARMWiki; thereby helping to clean up ArchWiki in the process.
ILMostro

Postby sdjf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:32 am

It makes more sense to me, to improve the already existing wiki pages, both at archlinux and the Pi specific pages at eLinux.

There is already a bit of information on the page mentioned earlier in this thread by miah:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Raspberry_Pi

For me, my problem with my model B was that Xorg in general did not list all the required packages as dependencies. I think the solution to that for the Pi is to improve either the basic Xorg page in the Arch Wiki, or expand the section on the above page. I had a to read a lot of how-tos and forum posts to find out what to install to get X working, so long ago I do not recall exactly which packages were essential vs. those which I added later on, but I was also not using an HDMI monitor, so my experience is not the norm.
sdjf

Postby ILMostro » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:54 am

Rigghhtt....

Read the Notes in that article; specifically, the one with the link to the forum etiquette:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'N')ote: Support for the ARM architecture is provided on http://archlinuxarm.org not through posts to the official Arch Linux Forum. Any posts related to ARM specific issues will be promptly closed per the Arch Linux Distribution Support ONLY policy.

In case you missed it, here is the quote:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')rch-based distributions often use different packages, package versions, repositories, and make custom system configurations surreptitiously, constituting support for such projects quite impossible on the Arch forums. Community technical support shall only be provided for the Arch Linux distribution and the Arch User Repository. Threads concerning issues with, and requesting support for, derivate distributions, or operating systems other than Arch Linux are strictly prohibited and will be closed.

ALARM is a community-supported derivative distribution of ArchLinux and, therefore, "Threads concerning issues with, and requesting support for" it is "strictly prohibited and will be closed".
ILMostro

Postby sdjf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Rules for the ArchLinux Forum are not the same as the rules for the ArchLinux Wiki. Otherwise, there would be no ArchLinux wiki page for the Raspberry Pi. It is not a forum thread, it is a wiki page.
sdjf

Postby ILMostro » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 pm

Actually, that's a good point! Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anything in the Wiki Help:Editing section specifically disallowing ArchLinux-based distributions' content.
ILMostro

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:49 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('ILMostro', 'W')ell, judging by other wikis as well as this forum, the preferable method of managing spam seems to be authenticated users' edits. Arguably, with a growing interest in the arm-specific linux development community involvement should be on the rise as well, as evidenced by this very thread. :geek: Ultimately, however, the only way to gauge the preferable method of controlling wiki edits and potential spam content is on a "live" system; so, the first step is to get it up and going, and then curate, edit, etc.

It could/should follow the same template as the ArchWiki, imho, for the sake of potential future "changes" in the project's status vis-a-vis ArchLinux proper; and, because the ArchWiki seems more organized and "contemporary" than some other popular and/or linux wikis. Based on the current similarities of the UI of archlinuxarm.org and archlinux.org I'm assuming that would be the general consensus among the leadership of the project. Therefore, some of the foundational work could be adapted from the ArchWiki itself, moving the arm-specific content from there to ALARMWiki; thereby helping to clean up ArchWiki in the process.

And who shall validate each person by hand? Even with only allowing registered users, those users still need curating.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ILMostro » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Nevertheless, these are separate projects. It would make more sense in curating a standalone ALARMWiki, rather than going back and forth between the projects' pages. Furthermore, the Moderators, Admins, etc. on ArchWiki are not interested in maintaining unsupported spinoffs and derivatives on their projects' page.
ILMostro

Postby ILMostro » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:07 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')nd who shall validate each person by hand? Even with only allowing registered users, those users still need curating.

Well, there are people offering to somehow get involved; at least two in this thread alone. That's why I said, if you're ready to delegate some responsibilities or at least outline some substantial specifics and/or qualifications needed in order to meet the competency threshold it would go a long way, imho. :?
ILMostro

Postby ILMostro » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:13 pm

sdjf wrote:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'R')ules for the ArchLinux Forum are not the same as the rules for the ArchLinux Wiki. Otherwise, there would be no ArchLinux wiki page for the Raspberry Pi. It is not a forum thread, it is a wiki page.

AFAICT, they are the same thing. Take a look at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=188335 and other related forum threads.
ILMostro

Postby ILMostro » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Maybe this thread should be moved to ArchLinux-Development, as it deals with the overall "development" of the distribution.
ILMostro

PreviousNext

Return to Broadcom