RPi2 image

Raspberry Pi 2

RPi2 image

Postby tinti » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Hello,

why is there no img file available to run Arch Linux on the new RPi 2?
How would you like to do an initial installation from Win or Mac?

I mean I have no problems doing it using a Linux box, but for my own commodity and laziness I would prefer having an image I can dd onto an SD card. I am also pretty sure that a lot of Windows users will completely fail while trying to install Arch on the Raspberry PI and they will never look back at this great distro.

Cheers.
T.
tinti

Re: RPi2 image

Postby Socaltom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:12 pm

used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby graysky » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:02 pm

You can install from a mac using more or less the same instructions as with linux I believe. Probably not possible on windows. If worse comes to worse, just boot from a Arch Live CD or USB (Arch x86_64 or i686) and complete the steps. It's really a non-issue.
graysky
Developer

Postby moonman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:44 am

One can't use mac as it doesn't support ext filesystems. It has to be linux. Use raspbian + cardreader + a second sd card if you don't have a linux box
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby graysky » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Thought there was a 3rd party ext4 support for OSX?

EDIT: http://osxdaily.com/2014/03/20/mount-ex ... system-mac
graysky
Developer

Postby moonman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:27 am

Well i suppose you can try you luck with it, but writing is experimental with that driver.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby lomaster » Thu May 14, 2015 6:41 pm

I create 8Gb image 09/05/2015 for Raspberry Pi 2. No update or upgrage or additional package installed.
I use install instruction from http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/broadcom/raspberry-pi-2.
Link to download img https://goo.gl/u3tIB6 (758 МБ)
UPD: Available for downloading
Last edited by lomaster on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
lomaster

Postby hehejo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:40 am

I made an image containing the files from the 2015-07-build. I followed the steps from the installation manual. No actions, upgrades etc have been performed.
You can find the image (compressed with 7z) and various checksums in my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B71Zn3XgfwRcVVhqU2kxcG90Vjg&usp=sharing

The image is meant to be for an 16GB sdcard.
hehejo

Postby Snoop05 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:36 pm

If i make an automated image builder script, will somebody keep it running on server and also host built images? So installation will be simple (and quick) as raspbian using win32 disk imager

Maybe official alarm servers?
Snoop05

Postby frylock » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:52 am

Nobody asked for my opinion, but I'll give it anyway. Feel free to skip it if you don't like reading novels. Also, apologies in advance if I offend anybody.

I'm a long-time Arch user (on and off), and although my daily-use machines run OS X and Win7, Arch has always been my favourite distribution. Despite the fact that I've been away from Linux for a while, when I got my Pi and I was trying out Raspbian, my first instinct when I ran into trouble was to install Arch—and, lo and behold, the issues I was having with Raspbian don't exist in Arch. For me, even though I'm not a power user, Arch solved my problems, and I feel comfortable in Arch.

If I had another Linux machine, or another miniSD card, or if I wanted to bother going upstairs to get my MacBook (I'm in a wheelchair), I could easily have followed the [awesome] instructions at http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/broadcom/raspberry-pi-2. It's not hard to do it this way, by any means—but for me and a lot of others, having access to an img file is just more convenient. In a matter of minutes, I was able to download an image from lomaster and jump right in again. Ignoring the fact that my MacBook was just upstairs, I had already waited a significant amount of time getting all of the pieces together so that I could enjoy my Pi, and I would have felt somewhat frustrated if I had to wait even longer because, say, I needed a second SD card on top of the one I got in my kit, or something like that.

Negating the need to follow the standard steps is not about lowering the intellectual barrier of entry; I don't think anyone is arguing that. Instead, it's lowering the barrier of entry for people who don't have a lot of extra equipment around (SD cards and such, or an extra computer running Linux) and just want to get up and running, either because they already know about Arch's reputation and they want to use it as a learning opportunity, or just because they prefer it... maybe the Pi is their only computer. I'm on a disability pension, and I blew a good chunk of my money this month on a Pi2 kit, a new monitor, peripherals, etc. I'd love to have the ability to play with a bunch of different OSes at once, but I don't. My decision to move to Arch was not taken lightly, but having access to an img file saved me a lot of grief. Thanks, lomaster :)

(Like someone else said, I don't know about the politics that led to the decision to drop img files. In my case, it's just that I can very much see the use of having them around. If I had more technical knowledge, I would help host them.)
frylock

Return to Broadcom