Switch from RaspberryPi B+ to RasberryPi 2

Raspberry Pi 2

Switch from RaspberryPi B+ to RasberryPi 2

Postby MadMe » Sun May 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Hello!

i have a question... is there an easy possibility to switch from ARMV6 to ARMV7?
I installed on my Raspi B+ the Seafile Cloud but the web Page is a little bit slow... so i wanted to switch to the newer raspi 2.

Is there an easy way? or shoud i reinstall the system?

Greetings MadMe
MadMe

Re: Switch from RaspberryPi B+ to RasberryPi 2

Postby sdjf » Thu May 14, 2015 5:34 am

Sorry, you cannot just copy your B+ software over to the Raspberry Pi 2, you will have to start from scratch because the B+ and 2 use different architectures. armv6h and armv7 are different.

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... berry-pi-2

EDIT: you may be able to transfer some of the user space text config files over, so you don't have to redo those from scratch, but the binaries are not going to work because they are architecture specific.

I am referring to files such as those in ~/.config, am not sure about the config files in the boot partition.
sdjf

Postby pums974 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 pm

http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2

Sounds like it's possible with raspbian but not with arch ?
pums974

Postby moonman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Armv7 is backwards compatible with armv6 (but not the other way around). You will however see a performance hit if you will use armv6 binaries vs armv7, it will still be faster than b+ though.

If you want to use rbp2 to the full potential, reinstall is the only way. You can take a note of all the installed package and transfer all your text configs over howevee
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Broadcom