Can't log in to SSH after pacmsn -Syu

Raspberry Pi 2

Can't log in to SSH after pacmsn -Syu

Postby ryano88 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:13 pm

I logged in to my Pi2 this afternoon for the first time in a while, so I decided to run a full system update. This completed successfully, however upon exiting my SSH session and starting a new one my password no longer works and does not let me log in to my pi.

Since I didn't have anything on my pi that I couldn't afford to lose, I reinstalled the latest image on to my pi and logged in to SSH using the default root password. I then changed my password, exited my SSH session and logged back in again to make sure my new password works correctly. I then did a full system update, logged off, then when I tried to log back on again my password no longer works.

So, I tried the above again, however this time before logging off after the full system update I set my password again then logged off. However when I try to log back in again my password still doesn't work.

The update applied to the latest fresh new image included the following packages:

gcc-libs-5.2.0-2 glibc-2.22-1 gnupg-2.1.7-1 ldns-1.6.17-3 linux-api-headers-4.1.4-1 linux-raspberrypi-4.1.5-1 openssh-7.0p1-1 raspberrypi-firmware-20150813-1 raspberrypi-firmware-bootloader-20150813-1 raspberrypi-firmware-bootloader-x-20150813-1 raspberrypi-firmware-examples-20150813-1 raspberrypi-firmware-tools-20150813-1 s-nail-14.8.4-1

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?
ryano88

Re: Can't log in to SSH after pacmsn -Syu

Postby mwNas » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Ran into the same problem with Pogoplug V2. Following update did a reboot and it did not like my password. My guess is it's openssh.
mwNas

Postby tpfkanep » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:43 pm

Arch announcement

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '2')015-08-14 - Gaetan Bisson

In light of recently discovered vulnerabilities, the new openssh-7.0p1 release deprecates keys of ssh-dss type, also known as DSA keys. See the upstream announcement for details.

Before updating and restarting sshd on a remote host, make sure you do not rely on such keys for connecting to it. To enumerate DSA keys granting access to a given account, use:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' grep ssh-dss ~/.ssh/authorized_keys')

If you have any, ensure you have alternative means of logging in, such as key pairs of a different type, or password authentication.

Finally, host keys of ssh-dss type being deprecated too, you might have to confirm a new fingerprint (for a host key of a different type) when connecting to a freshly updated server.
tpfkanep

Postby ryano88 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:02 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I')f you have any, ensure you have alternative means of logging in, such as key pairs of a different type, or password authentication.

It says that password authentication is an alternative form of authentication that should be suitable. This is the form of authentication that I am trying to use, but it still does not seem to be working.
ryano88

Postby Espionage724 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:52 am

I ran into this issue earlier; I ended up just creating a new user account on the Pi, and then used ssh with that account. After logging in, you can then su to root.

Would prefer to just be able to ssh into root directly like before, but after adding PermitRootLogin yes to /etc/ssh/ssh_config, it still didn't let me do that.
Espionage724

Postby Beam » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:08 pm

It's /etc/ssh/sshd_config not ssh_config and it's work, don't forget reload service.
OpenSSH 7.0 changed default settings PermitRootLogin from "yes" to "without-password" (ssh key only)
Beam

Return to Broadcom