SSH Login Problem (New Setup)

Raspberry Pi 2

SSH Login Problem (New Setup)

Postby TerryG » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:42 pm

hi, i am new to the Raspberry Pi world, having just got my first board, i have been a long time Arch Linux user but i seem to be facing a problem with Arch ARM, i have followed the directions on the PI2 setup page
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/broadcom/raspberry-pi-2#qt-platform_tabs-ui-tabs2')

all goes well until i try and access the pi via SSH, i have tried root@192.168.0.8 (this is the IP address assigned by the router) and i enter root as the password as suggested in the last line of the setup instructions
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'The default root password is root.')
however i get permission denied error and after 3 attemptes its fails, i have also tried using alarm@192.168.0.8 and using alarm as the password as suggested in the setup instructions and again the same problem happens, i have also tried swapping the passwords (hey just for giggles like i know that will never work but try everything right? )

has anyone got any experiance with this error.

on a side not i have tried placing the micro SD card back in to my card reader and the root partition is not accesable to my main Arch install so i can not modify or read through any of the ssh config files.

Thanx In Advance
TerryG

Re: SSH Login Problem (New Setup)

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:47 pm

You can't log in asroot over ssh without changing the default config.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby TerryG » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:56 pm

i think i may have found 1 problem, every time i run the "sync" command it unmounts my micro SD card, i have re mounted it and managed to copy the boot files and now i get a kernel panic im guessing something during the sync gets interrupted leaving me with an incomplete system. i have no idea why this would be happening.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'Y')ou can't log in asroot over ssh without changing the default config.

there is no mention of that in the official setup guide, in fact it suggests root is available on new installs
TerryG

Postby graysky » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:59 pm

Look in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to see why... no idea why you can't run sync nor how a live filesystem would get umounted by doing so.
graysky
Developer

Postby moonman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:29 am

Root *is* available on new installs. You just can't login as root over ssh for security reasons.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'su root')
After you login as alarm
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Broadcom