Kernel oops with USB devices

Raspberry Pi 2

Kernel oops with USB devices

Postby tpfkanep » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:05 pm

I am currently having nightmares when using USB devices (storage/3G modem/wireless). System indicates an oops occured, and not even [Alt]+[SysRq] magic keys work. I normally end up having to pull the plug on the Pi2B. I dunno if this is hardware or software related.

Checking logs is fruitless (I normally end up losing previous boot logs & also corrupted filesystems). I get similar output as listed here.

Going back to an image with linux-raspberrypi-4.1.16-2 made sometime end Jan-2016 delivers the same result.

It seems to be a Pi issue? Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a workaround?
tpfkanep

Re: Kernel oops with USB devices

Postby tpfkanep » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:14 pm

Managed to get kernel 4.1.15-1 installed on the disk-image made in Jan-2016. All seem to be working well for over a day.

Offered up seal pups to the Great Penguin & executed an Syu (> 800MB update). Update results in gnashing of teeth, foaming at the mouth & two aneurysms. Beelzebub wept.

Downloaded ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest.tar.gz. Fresh install. Everything seems to be working OK (running for about an hour). Do an Syu (which included an update to the kernel & some firmware stuff)... Oops Up Side Your Head...

Downgraded the affected packages & ... Serenity Now. Serenity Now. Serenity Now.

Currently running 4.1.15-1 with a disk image from Jan-2016. Flawless victory.
tpfkanep

Re: Kernel oops with USB devices

Postby tpfkanep » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Finally found the root cause of my issue: usb_modeswitch 2.3.0-1. When I downgrade to 2.2.6-1 kernel oops absent.

Reported issue on developer's forum.
tpfkanep

Return to Broadcom