U-Boot for the ROC-RK3328-CC (Renegade)

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

U-Boot for the ROC-RK3328-CC (Renegade)

Postby nachobeez » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 am

It would be nice if uboot for this device was in the repositories for future updates. Instructions for compilation are here: https://roc-rk3328-cc.readthedocs.io/en ... ing-u-boot

The similar Rock64 has the package uboot-rock64
nachobeez

Re: U-Boot for the ROC-RK3328-CC (Renegade)

Postby TheSaint » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:26 am

To compile an u-boot is half way to get the system up. As I'm experimenting with Tinker Board RK3288 the important part is the device-tree file, which contains the information to make the MCU aware of the hardware,
You may try it out, but unsure you'll see a success and the mainlined kernel will fit well.
TheSaint

Postby nachobeez » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:02 am

The dtb file is in the provided image and I's also in mainline. As far as I understand the only possible issues with mainline would be maybe the gpu (which I don't care about) http://bbs.t-firefly.com/forum.php?mod= ... d&tid=2312

Anyhow I could always use the kernel that's provided by the manufacrurer. The uboot package is nowhere to be found in the repos, that's What I'd like to see implemented. OR at least an instructions page in ARMv8 > Rockchip in the home page like the Rock64 has
nachobeez

Postby TheSaint » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Oh yes, you may have the u-boot from the manufacturer along with its dtb. Then you may try to keep that kernel and modules (if any) then implant the archlinux SO.
I did with mine rk3288, then the kernel remains fixed to that given from linaro. The rest of the sistem still work with the Arch updates.
TheSaint

Postby nachobeez » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Okay, first off: For anyone looking for u-boot images for this device, the firefly guide works but I had to set up Ubuntu on a spare PC/VM.

You can instead find images here by the Armbian folks: https://beta.armbian.com/pool/main/l/li ... e-default/
nachobeez

Postby TheSaint » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Oh, I see.
Armbian is a good chance. I used their u-boot and I can switch to archlinux rootfs any time. I mean I restore my Arch backup on the Armbian installation without problems.
But you may just take the u-boot off the provided image. Just search it$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ find /usr -iname *u-boot*') after mounting the unpacked file.
Once you find it, then you may write it by$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# dd if=linux/u-boot.bin of=/dev/<kernel_name> bs=512 seek=64')Otherwise just extract it from their image
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# dd if=Armbian-etc-etc.img of=/dev/<kernel_name> bs=512 seek=64 skip=64 count=8128')After you may prepare your partitions, which the first must start at not less than 4th Mbytes. Later you can set arch linux on the first partition.
TheSaint

Return to ARMv8