[SOLVED] RPi 4- aarch64 enable USB early in boot process

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Re: [SOLVED] RPi 4- aarch64 enable USB early in boot process

Postby mrtux » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:38 pm

I think once the uboot is updated in the offical repos it may be enough, however adding PCIE_BRCMSTB to your conf file won't hurt since it is required for usb on the Pi.
mrtux

Postby mrtux » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:48 am

For anyone interested, the 5.8.14 kernel and uboot-2020.10 packages were updated here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2a4f5d9dawn20h/linux-slim-5.8.14-uboot-2020.10.tar.gz?dl=0
mrtux

Postby Tota » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:34 am

I'm about to give up, cannot get it to work (headless). RPi 4GB v1.2

1) Make sure the RPi4 firmware supports USB boot (000137ad or above; latest 000138a1) -> use the "stable" distribution. Using the AUR rpi-eeprom package (through an SD card with moonman's aarch64).
2) follow the official guide for aarch64 and prepare the SSD (other machine)
3) connect SSD to the RPi4 + SD card with aarch64 (moonman's kernel in my case) and chroot into the freshly installed SSD
4) finish the official guide and do a full system update
5) edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and add pcie_brcmstb to MODULES i.e MODULES=(pcie_brcmstb)
6) run mkinitcpio -P
7) edit /boot/boot.txt and add the new root partition to root= e.g. root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXXXXXX (run blkid to get the partuuid)
8) run ./mkscr
9) install uboot 2020.10 provided by mrtux (thank you)

Shut down, remove sd card, boot again. Power led is on, ACT led is off, network leds are on but do not flicker. RPi is listed in the DHCP client list, so it is booted?, cannot ping, NMAP reports the host as up:
Code: Select all
nmap -v -sn -Pn [IP RPi]
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2020-10-18 09:54 CEST
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 09:54
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 09:54, 0.01s elapsed
Nmap scan report for [IP RPi]
Host is up.
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.01 seconds

cannot ssh, cannot ping.

I also tried to delay the systemd-networkd service to get the network up but it had no effect.

Disconnect power, put SD card back in, boot, chroot, journalctl -m is empty. I do not have a serial console to attach. Not sure it is a boot/network issue.

Anything i have missed?

(i had USB boot working using moonman's kernel without issues but since he dropped support i wanted to switch to the official release; regrets)

Sources:
- this thread
- viewtopic.php?t=14742
- viewtopic.php?t=14774
Tota

Postby mrtux » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:58 am

It looks to me like you have all required steps, do you have an hdmi cable you can plug in to see what it is doing? I have had issues with the ethernet and instead of finding the proper fix, I have dhcpcd enabled for the ethernet and that solved my network issues. There is a proper fix for it though. So are you leaving the SD card out and using the SSD solely for booting? I personally use the SD card only for /boot. I find it to be the most reliable setup. I uploaded the 5.9.1 kernel if you would like to try it, but it sounds like you have it most likely booting, just perhaps a network issue. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl9ed6v3puaqgoe/linux-slim-pi-5.9.1.tar.gz?dl=0
mrtux

Previous

Return to ARMv8