rpi4 + aarch64 + retroarch ... build mupen64 libretro core ?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

rpi4 + aarch64 + retroarch ... build mupen64 libretro core ?

Postby bueysitoDiablo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi there,

I've been trying to build a N64 core for retroarch/libretro, but the road has been a little... bumpy, should we say.

First, retroarch won't show any N64 cores available within the content downloader, so the next logical step was trying to build myself one.

So I tried cloning https://github.com/libretro/mupen64plus-libretro-nx, but no luck here either... the Makefile has a "rpi4" section, but if you simply "make" it will not get properly detected, hence you will build the normal openGL Linux build. This one will inmediately segfault upon any game launch.

Turns out you can force the rpi4 section by trying "platform=rpi4 make". This will build the core with "-march=armv8-a+crc", "-mtune=cortex-a72" and GLES support, which seemed nice, but again it won't even work (segfault again).

The only working N64 core I've been able to find is https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ ... el-n64-git, and you must first modify the aarch64 section in the PKGBUILD $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'HAVE_NEON=0 HAVE_OPENGL=0 GLES=0')
and set it to
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'HAVE_NEON=1 HAVE_OPENGL=1 GLES=1')

This gives a somewhat usable N64 emulation for retroarch in the PI4, but performance is still so-so.

My question is... is there any better N64 core/module for this configuration? I keep hearing people talking wonders of N64 emulation with the PI4, but in my case, the vast majority of games will run in their 15-20fps (more 15-ish than 20-ish, truth to be told). I suppose I'm missing something here ? Perhaps those other people are using other solutions ( i.e., Lakka, etc. ) ?

thanks for your help,
bueysitoDiablo

Return to ARMv8