[SOLVED] Flickering & Blanking screen upon switching window

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Re: Flickering/Blanking screen upon switching window

Postby TrevorB » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Update 28 / 11 /21

After doing the lasted -Syu which changes
Replace linux-raspberrypi with core/linux-rpi-legacy? [Y/n] (haven't got a clue what that does or means......

The flickering screen is back again

You need to re do

I modified by /boot/config/txt
from
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
to
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

As it's obviously reset to default with the kernel rename / modif

All good again after
TrevorB

Postby jyno » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:29 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')I modified by /boot/config/txt
from
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
to
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

@TrevorB Thank you.
Kindly post a step-by-step guide, just in case.

@Devs Why don't you add this fix?
It's difficult to work with that flickering and you're on the verge to lose your user-base if problem persists, assuming most of your users update regularly.
jyno

Postby graysky » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:13 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jyno', '@')Devs Why don't you add this fix?
It's difficult to work with that flickering and you're on the verge to lose your user-base if problem persists, assuming most of your users update regularly.

Have you reported this issue upstream? Feel free to switch to another distro if you are unhappy.
graysky
Developer

Postby jyno » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:48 pm

@graysky Are you upset? Am I responsible? If I am, then, I didn't mean to. Do you want me to apologies? (I will, if you think I should)

Anyway, I think you @Devs can either downgrade the package or add a script to handle the proposed fix by TrevorB, because a kernel which offers dysfunctionality is definitely not something that is intended to any distro whatsoever.
jyno

Postby bueysitoDiablo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 pm

@jyno this is a complex issue, originating in a commit for supporting gamma-related stuff in the pi4, which unfortunately led to some unintended side effects due to the way the pi4 hardware works (the gory details are well explained upstream, if you're interested).

Switching to fkms instead of kms is not a solution, but a workaround. And, depending on the use cases, it isn't even a valid option.

You can "wait" in 5.10.75-1, which was the last unaffected kernel, until this one gets fixed. Other than that, we are in upstream's hands.
bueysitoDiablo

Postby jyno » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:26 pm

I understand.

Note: After darksky posted his post about RPi 5.15.0, there was an update that got the display proper again, and then there was an update which has been causing this issue again.

Assuming 5.10.75-1 is not going to have that issue: Is it possible to hold further updates unless we verify that the display is OK?

I find this crucial, and I don't find any distro best proper to SBCs but ArchLinux and ARMtix (Artix) which are lean on resources, and last thing I want to hear - from people I try to convert into Linux and people I'm working with - is to preach me nonsense like "See?! This doesn't work".
jyno

Postby bueysitoDiablo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:26 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')ssuming 5.10.75-1 is not going to have that issue: Is it possible to hold further updates unless we verify that the display is OK?

You could simply $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/etc/pacman.conf

IgnorePkg = linux-raspberrypi4')

or even... actually, you could use the recent change from linux-raspberrypi4 to core/linux-rpi, to your own advantage: just stick with linux-raspberrypi4-5.10.75-1, and you can do your usual pacman -Syu stuff, simply answering "n" when pacman asks you to replace it with core/linux-rpi. You will stay fully updated (except for the kernel, that is), and then you decide when to go for the new kernel.

Quite an unorthodox way of using this repository change, I suppose ;)
bueysitoDiablo

Postby graysky » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:38 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jyno', 'N')ote: After darksky posted his post about RPi 5.15.0, there was an update that got the display proper again, and then there was an update which has been causing this issue again.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bueysitoDiablo', 'Y')ou can "wait" in 5.10.75-1, which was the last unaffected kernel, until this one gets fixed. Other than that, we are in upstream's hands.

Thanks for calling these facts out. For the record, upstream is aware of these issues, see: #4660.
My AUR packagesMy zsh configsStreamzap remote config
graysky
Developer

Postby TrevorB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:13 am

@jyno

It's easy to fix.

In /boot/ folder you need to modify the config.txt file, this is normally hidden so just make Show Hidden files.

In this file, just modify the line dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d, there's only about four lines in all, so easy to see
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
to
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

Needs just a f before the kms-v3d

Save the file, it will ask for your password unless you open it with sudo nano for exemple

Its really very easy and works fine, no more flickering screen
Trevor
TrevorB

Postby jyno » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:09 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')I modified by /boot/config/txt

from
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
to
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

saved the file and rebooted, Flickering screen has gone

And the sound, from HDMI, goes along with it.
Did you solve this sound issue?
jyno

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv8