[Request] MochaBin Installation Guide

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Re: [Request] MochaBin Installation Guide

Postby czk » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:55 pm

FYI, yesterday CONFIG_PHY_MVEBU_CP110_UTMI was enabled in linux-aarch64: https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... b09352e7ea

And finally USB3 works back again on my MacchiatoBIN Single Shot:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@alarm ~]# uname -a
Linux alarm 6.2.7-2-aarch64-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Mar 18 14:47:56 MDT 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

[root@alarm ~]# zgrep CONFIG_PHY_MVEBU_CP110_UTMI /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_PHY_MVEBU_CP110_UTMI=y

# USB disk detected:
[root@alarm ~]# lsusb -t
/: Bus 06.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
/: Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
/: Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
/: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
')
czk

Postby MrW01f » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:31 am

Hello,

I tried to get the system to work the way I wanted it to, but I fail every time.
I used the Rpi4 installation guide to use the "root and boot" but with the ArchLinuxARM-aarch64-latest.tar.gz as described in the Macchiatobin, because it is the closest to Mochabin.

I have tried several dip switches to boot directly to the M.2 Sata SSD, but nothing works.

Could someone provide a "Dummy proof" installation instruction on how to install Arch on a /dev/sda and boot directly from it, without using the eMMC and NOR?

I'm not a linux expert, but I feel like it's a good idea to install Arch on a /dev/sda.

I am not a linux expert, but I really want to use this card for network analysis.

Thanks,
MrW01f

Postby robg » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:57 am

@MrW01f: I suggest opening a new topic for your request.

For starters, do not follow the RPI setup guide. Devices that are not listed among the officially supported ones require a combination of the steps in the generic guide and device-specific tweaks. For the latter, it seems that this topic might offer some guidance.
robg

Postby MrW01f » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:16 pm

@robg: thanks, but I won't start a new topic. I started this one and I won't post a follow up else where.

The reason why I used the rpi4 installation instruction was because they explained the harddrive partitionning while the Generic AArch64 installation only cover the tar.gz extraction.

The other topic you point, by technosf, can be resumed by "For the M2 I took the ArchLinuxARM-aarch64-latest and extracted it to a ext4 that has the boot flag set" I don't see a sentence as a guide.

My initial request was to have a "step by step" guide to install archlinux on MochaBin from the already installed Ubuntu.

The only fact I added to my request was to do it without the NOR and boot directly to the SSD.

Maybe I'll find more help with another distro community, at least, I tried to get help for Arch.
MrW01f

Postby robg » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:59 pm

Sorry, I did not realize that this topic was started by you. Of course, you are right to ignore my first suggestion then.

I can also appreciate your dissatisfaction with the answers of technosf. It seems to me that the guide written by Mettacrawler goes towards answering your question, but if you seek a different answer (more in true step-by-step fashion, as you write) then I suggest consulting the Manjaro ARM forum. It is usually more active than here, and should be conceptually close enough to Arch.
robg

Postby MrW01f » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:45 pm

Thanks @robg
it's 95% of what I needed.
the guide is enough detailed, I should be good to find the missing part with "trial and error" and if I succeed, with the dip switch, I'll post how I did it.

I'm not mad at ArchLinux for being too complicate, but at Globalscale Technologies for selling a dev product without good documentation.

Thanks for your help
MrW01f

Previous

Return to ARMv8