Odroid-c2 kernel linux-odroid-c2 3.14.65-8

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Odroid-c2 kernel linux-odroid-c2 3.14.65-8

Postby gzmorell » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:02 am

Hi, after trying to update kernel to linux-odroid-c2 3.14.65-8 version the system was unable to boot.
The /boot/image file was deleted. After copying the kernel files from the image: ArchLinuxARM-odroid-c2-latest.tar.gz
the system was able to boot again.
I have tried to reinstall linux-odroid-c2 3.14.65-8, i had to use --force (I suppose I shouldnt) and the system was not able to boot again. The image file was not deleted this time and apparently was created with the new kernel, anyway it was not able to boot.
gzmorell

Re: Odroid-c2 kernel linux-odroid-c2 3.14.65-8

Postby gzmorell » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:36 pm

The problem seems to be that no modules are added to the image.
I have not been able to find what is causing this problem.
Any suggestion?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')[root@alarm alarm]# depmod 3.14.65-8-ARCH
[root@alarm alarm]# mkinitcpio -p linux-odroid-c2
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-odroid-c2.preset: 'default'
-> -k 3.14.65-8-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 3.14.65-8-ARCH
-> Running build hook: [base]
-> Running build hook: [udev]
-> Running build hook: [autodetect]
find: '/sys/devices/platform/': No such file or directory
-> Running build hook: [modconf]
-> Running build hook: [block]
-> Running build hook: [filesystems]
-> Running build hook: [keyboard]
-> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> WARNING: No modules were added to the image. This is probably not what you want.
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful

So there are no modules added.
gzmorell

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:06 pm

A warning does not mean that it is the problem. Do you have a UART cable?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby cmsigler » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi,

I'm new to ALARM so I was confused by these messages from mkinitcpio on my Odroid-C2:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'find: '/sys/devices/platform/': No such file or directory
==> WARNING: No modules were added to the image. This is probably not what you want.')
But they don't indicate a fatal kernel install problem (as WarheadsSE said :) ). HTH.

Clemmitt
- Raspberry Pi 3
- Odroid-C2
- Raspberry Pi Zero
cmsigler

Postby gzmorell » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:21 pm

No, I have no serial connection. Only though ssh.
But I do not think that the warning is not important, as if no modules are added some important module could be missing.
Furhtermore I am not able to make the image even with linux-odroid-c2 version 3.14.65-5 which I have got from the official disk image. The only way to boot is to manually copy the files from the image to the disk.
I am checking the disk unit with fsck -ccv now in order to be sure there is no bad blocks.
Are somebody with the same message able to boot after upgrading?
gzmorell

Postby cmsigler » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi,

I went the "Cadillac" route and bought an eMMC card to snap onto the bottom of my C2. Are you using an SD card? I've had no problems similar to yours even though I do see the warnings I posted above each time I install an upgraded linux-odroid-c2 package. I'd be surprised if your problem was caused by bad blocks but it's a possible explanation, I suppose.

Remember that mkinitcpio is only preparing an initramfs image to use as the board boots up. Seeing modules missing from this doesn't mean your system will be missing kernel modules once it's up and running. You should be able to find modules under, for example, the /usr/lib/modules/3.14.65-8-ARCH tree. Can you pull out the SD (or eMMC) card, plug the card into a laptop or workstation, then mount the filesystem on its partition?

Last gasp is to start from scratch I suppose -- wipe and reimage your card and try a first time boot-up again.

In order to do serious debugging you really do need a serial cable. This is one of the things I've learned with these single board computers and from mucking around with custom firmware flashing on wireless routers. You'll have to pay extra for a cable but some debugging tasks are more-or-less impossible without one.

So, if the problem persists perhaps you can borrow a cable from a friend or a lab tech. That would allow you to report back with some more info. HTH :)

Clemmitt
- Raspberry Pi 3
- Odroid-C2
- Raspberry Pi Zero
cmsigler

Postby gzmorell » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks, at least I know that's not the problem. I think you are wright a serial adptor is a must. I will try to get one.
The good news there are no badblocks. I will try with journalctl to check if i see something else.
gzmorell

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:23 pm

Check that your boot partition might have a boot.ini.pacnew, if this is the case, work on merging the difference.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to ARMv8