Kernel Module Compilation

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Kernel Module Compilation

Postby Fujitus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:33 am

Hi All, I would like to compile my own kernel module but i'got a problems.

I try different way to compile the module on 4.1.20.1-ARCH kernel version, but each time it's tell me that the build directory in the kernel dosn't existe

make -C /lib/modules/4.1.20-1-ARCH/build SUBDIRS=/root KBUILD_VERBOSE=0 modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.1.20-1-ARCH/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Makefile:11: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2 :cry:

So I try to import the build envirement with rpi-source but gcc is not in the extract version that rpi-source need.

gcc version check failed: could not extract version numbers
Skip this check with --skip-gcc :cry:

Rpi-source need gcc-4.8 but it's not on AUR :(

If some one got a idea let me know ;)
Last edited by Fujitus on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fujitus

Re: Kernel Module Compilation

Postby summers » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Don't know if this will help - but when ever I've been playing with enabling additional kernel functionality, either as modules, or in the core code, is to compile the kernel from scratch. E.g. I downloaded the latest linux kernel and built from that.

Now I've never done this on arm (well have a cross compiler on my home computer, for developing OS ideas on a panda board), and native kernel compilation on arm would be painful (I'm guessing 24h compilation time wouldn't be unusual).

I guess you should be able to down load the source package on arch (probably going via aur); then there is hope in that of just compiling a module, which *should* be compatible with the kernel (assuming what is in aur is the same as mainline).

So guess this won't be much help. Do keep plugging away though ...
summers

Return to ARMv8