Odroid C2 USB audio to DAC - static, click and stutter

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Odroid C2 USB audio to DAC - static, click and stutter

Postby mervinb » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:11 am

Hi,

I've connected my C2 to two different DAC (both Schiit models using CM Media chips). When sending audio to the dacs (using squeezelite), especially at higher sample rates like 96kHz, there is noticeable stuttering in the sound, like the system has skipped some sound, or is trying to catch up.

I've tested this with a very large range of buffer sizes (alsa buffer and application buffer), and having found any workable solution.. This is similar to what I find with RPi (B+), but I was hoping that the much faster C2 and no other devices on the USB bus would help avoid this issue.

I've checked the most basic audio output program I know of - aplay - and on a 24/96 file it has bad static sound. On adjusting to shorter period between interrupts (-F 20) the static disappears but I still hear the stuttering (one every couple of seconds).

Ironically a much slower Pogoplug E02 with less memory has no problem with audio via USB, even when other devices are using the bus. I have been looking for a more current replacement for my Pogoplug.
mervinb

Re: Odroid C2 USB audio to DAC - static, click and stutter

Postby mervinb » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:22 am

A quick follow-up to my USB audio issues: I was pointed to Odrobian & Armbian for the C2, as users have reported that they've connected USB dacs successfully using these closely related distros. I can confirm that Armbian for C2 (64-bit, headless) runs squeezelite well. Some minor alsa buffer tuning is needed to support higher sample rates. No amount of tweaking seems to give stutter-free audio on Arch.
mervinb

Return to ARMv8