Can't Find Wireless Adapter on RPi3 (AARM64)

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Can't Find Wireless Adapter on RPi3 (AARM64)

Postby cachedrive » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:01 am

I am unable to locate the wireless adapter on the Raspberry Pi 3. I just installed wpa_supplicant however when I look for the adapter with 'ip link', I only see localhost and eth0. I checked dmesg:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'i2c-bcm2835 3f805000.i2c: i2c transfer failed: 100')

The above is flooded in dmesg towards the end of the log. This is my 1st time running the 64BIT version of ALARM.

Any help is appreciated!
cachedrive

Re: Can't Find Wireless Adapter on RPi3 (AARM64)

Postby iugamarian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:19 am

Raspberry Pi's have a blob. That blob is only 32 bit and maintained by Broadcom and the foundation.

If you want to use the Raspberry Pi 3 properly now, you need ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest.tar.gz that works very well on Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3 and is 32 bit.

On the page:

https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-3

"AArch64 Installation

This provides an installation using the mainline kernel and U-Boot. There is no support for the vendor-provided libraries, extensions, or related software. Some of the hardware on the board may not work, or it may perform poorly."

ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest.tar.gz

IMHO stuff will work fine on 64 bit if:
-a 64 bit blob is provided
-the source for the blob is released as free software and modified and compiled for 64 bit
-completely free software drivers are made and a very small blob only boots the kernel (no config.txt)

Eric Anholt is working on the free software video driver, and the blob runs it's code on the video card VC4 so this may be what is needed.
iugamarian

Re: Can't Find Wireless Adapter on RPi3 (AARM64)

Postby cachedrive » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:54 am

Very informative. Thank you!
cachedrive

Return to ARMv8