How to install ArchLinux ARM to an Acer R13 (Chromebook)

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

How to install ArchLinux ARM to an Acer R13 (Chromebook)

Postby newbie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 pm

I want to install a Linux Distribution on Chromebook (Acer R13 CB5-312T_K0YK). Since it was a gift a time ago, I am kind of stuck to this model. After I found out that Ubuntu does not work with a ARM CPU, I found Archlinux ARM. On the website, there is a guide how to install the OS on a USB drive/memory card. (Link: https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/mediatek/acer-chromebook-r13)

How do I install Archlinux ARM on the device itself and not just on a memory card / USB drive?

Btw.: I already tried to install Ubuntu but it cancels with an error (Link: http://svn.clifford.at/handicraft/2014/chrbook13/README) is for the Acer R13 CB5-311-T6R7 only. I can repartition the HD but the installation cancels with: "This script does not know how to install ChrUbuntu on aarch64"

Re: How to install ArchLinux ARM to an Acer R13 (Chromebook)

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 pm

You have to install to an external device prior to installing onto the internal memory.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby newbie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 pm

So basically I follow all of the instruction in the manual, right? Afterwards, do I copy the content of the external device by Chrome OS or what are the next steps? Unfortunately, I am completely new to Linux

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Then I might not suggest replacing ChromeOS.

You install to external media. Boot that, and then install to internal media.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby newbie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 pm

First of all: Thanks for your help, WarheadsSE!

I tried to install ArchlinuxARM on a memory card using a USB card reader as recommended following the manual. I was wondering about a few errors.

After step 8: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'partx: /dev/sda: error adding partitions 1-2
')
After step 11: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'tar: Ignoring unkown extended header keyword 'SCHILY.fflags'') (at least a few hundret lines/times)

Since I could nevertheless continue, I tried and came until the last step: Configuration of WiFi.

After entering the PW, the following error occured (at least 5 times/lines):$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' [ 3XX.49XXXX] protocol 0003 is buggy, dev mlan0')
The XXX are differing numbers.

Is there a workaround? What can I do next?

Thanks!

[edit: just minor typos]

Return to ARMv8