Is the mainline kernel stable enough for ODROID-C2 ?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Is the mainline kernel stable enough for ODROID-C2 ?

Postby peoro » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:02 pm

For longer than one year I've been using an ODROID-C2 pretty much as a router for my home network. It's always been extremely stable: I never ever had to hard-reboot it.

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded its software and it started misbehaving because of the infamous problems with systemd and the linux-odroid-c2 3.14.79 kernel. I decided to give the mainline kernel a shot and upgraded to it.

Today, for the second time in a couple of weeks, my ODROID-C2 died. It just stops working: doesn't reply to ping, if I plug in a keyboard it doesn't work (hitting alt-ctrl-del does nothing; the keybord LEDs don't turn on) etc. I had to unplug its power cable and reboot it.

Am I the only one experiencing instability with the mainline kernel?

The reliability of this machine is very very important to me. Is there any way to move back to the officially supported kernel and have a working system?
peoro

Re: Is the mainline kernel stable enough for ODROID-C2 ?

Postby peoro » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:22 pm

I just noticed that the new official ODROID-C2 kernel, 3.16.57, was added to the alarm repos two days ago.
I tried it, but systemd is still having problems with it (e.g. dhcpd4 won't start via systemd).

Any way to replace the current systemd with something that is compatible with older kernels?
Otherwise, would it be possible to use an old snapshot of the alarm repositories which contains the older version of software?
In case no other option is feasible, could anybody recommend a different set of repositories, or a different distribution altogether, that supports the official ODROID-C2 kernels?
peoro

Re: Is the mainline kernel stable enough for ODROID-C2 ?

Postby graysky » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:33 pm

As pointed out, try and 3.16.x series (your only option) which is the officially supported one. Alternatively, you can use the mainline kernel/boot loader and run a partially functional box. I am not current on what doesn't work but in the past, limited NIC, USB, hardware decoding were all part of it.
graysky
Developer

Return to ARMv8