HDMI turns off after boot on RPi 3 B+ (ARMv8 release)

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

HDMI turns off after boot on RPi 3 B+ (ARMv8 release)

Postby Binabik » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I have installed the ARMv8 release (ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest.tar.gz) according to https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-3 on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+. It works and I can connect via ssh, but HDMI shuts off after the boot process. During boot, I see all the output (so HDMI generally works) but when the login screen should appear, the display turns off. The release tarball seems to be dated on Oct 5th, 2018.

For comparison, I tried the ARMv7 release and for that one, everything works.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try now? If you need more information, please let my know.

Best regards
Binabik

Re: HDMI turns off after boot on RPi 3 B+ (ARMv8 release)

Postby graysky » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:00 pm

I haven't tried using the armv8 image on a 3 in a while due to missing features but I believe there is a corresponding /boot/config.txt wherein you can force HDMI on, no?

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... rn-on-hdmi
graysky
Developer

Postby Binabik » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes, there is this /boot/config.txt file but I do not think that this will resolve my issue (and it doesn't, I have tested it). When booting, my HDMI display is found correctly and it is just turned off after the boot process. So the Arch system that takes over control later seems to turn HDMI off. So, how is display output controlled in Arch?
Binabik

Postby Binabik » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm

I have made another observation: When I unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable after a while, I get HDMI output. Thus, I was able to see a few error messages which seem to be related to HDMI. One of those is for example:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CONNECTOR:29:HDMI-A-1] flip_done timed out')
What is such an error message related to?
Binabik

Postby LeOn83 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:15 am

I can confirm that. I have the same problem and could not solve it. Unfortunately, I had to switch to armv7 again.
LeOn83

Postby lategoodbye » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:17 am

Can anyone provide a full stacktrace including the kernel version of this issue?
Also the used display would be nice. AFAIK there is a issue with 4K displays.
lategoodbye

Return to ARMv8