Raspberry Pi 4 64bit support

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 64bit support

Postby moonman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:55 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')hat's what I'm saying, explaining and running for a quite while. ;)

Should've made packages instead, would've made my life easier :P

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I') think mainline will continue to be a pretty bad compromise compared to the RPI kernel. It simply lacks tons of features
and adaptations, which most probably would never be accepted by mainline. I mean. It's that RPI kernel what makes the PI unique

Mainline is the goal. Streamlined. Easy to maintain.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'L')uckily we have a 64bit RPI kernel now. I'd strongly vote for getting rid of the mainline kernels and uboot and replace these
with the RPI kernels on the aarch64 ALARM packages. It's actually IMO a must to go that path for compatibility reasons.

Mainline might have the official support. At least that's what I heard. The packages I posted is just my personal side project.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby soundcheck » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 am

A goal for whom?

As long as the PI kernel differs that much from mainline, and that'll continue to be that way for quite a while, there's no way to simply disregard the PI kernel.

I understand that mainline might be easier to maintain. But that's not the focus.

Since we have an aarch64 RPI kernel now, ALARM should offer on RPI3 and RPI4 aarch64 package based on the RPI kernel.
These would then be in line with all older packages. And that's the key here!

For those who maintain distros out there and for those who build the numerous HAT and other devices for PIs out there the classic RPI kernel structure is much easier to maintain. No. Actually for them it's mandatory to have that structure in place.

Basically this is not a question about the ALARM maintainers efforts, it's about the overall acceptance and spread of that package.

Keep in mind. The RPI is not comparable to other SBCs. These can easily live with mainline. The PI can't - because users rely on the additional drivers and adaptions. And not forget the timely availability of adaptions and corrections.

PS: I'm not maintaining packages myself. I simply laid out "prove-of-concept" that aarch64 on RPI with RPI kernel works on RPI4 and 4.
soundcheck

Postby moonman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:36 am

I'm not saying mainline will be all that's supported. There is the official kernel and architecture backed by rpi-foundation, that will stay. Mainline is the goal outside of that support, which aarch64 is.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby soundcheck » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 am

Two more changes that I introduced to my ALARM aarch64 RPI-kernel PI4 image I'd like to mention:

1. pacman -> ignore kernel and bootloader updates

both packages are no longer compatible/needed, since we run a RPI kernel
and rpi-eeprom to update the bootloader.

/etc/packman.conf
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
IgnorePkg = linux-aarch64 raspberrypi-bootloader
')

2. mkinitcpio
...it's currently based on the mainline kernel

With a hack I simply introduce the actual kernel. E.g.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
KNAME=$(uname -r)
sed -i "s/^ALL_kver=.*/ALL_kver=\"$KNAME\"/g" /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-aarch64.preset
')

Enjoy.
soundcheck

Postby moonman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('soundcheck', '
')1. pacman -> ignore kernel and bootloader updates

I'm guessing you used generic aarch64 rootfs.
Remove linux-aarch64 and it won't prompt you anymore. You can also build a clean rootfs with e.g. pacstrap.

I don't understand why you recommend ignoring bootloader updates though. Not required.

These packages will take care of these things for you too.
moonman
Developer

Postby soundcheck » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:40 am

The bootloader is kept in the eeprom on the RPI 4 now. I mentioned that earlier.
It no longer resides under /boot

It now requires the rpi-eeprom toolset to update and upload the bootloader. (There's afaik no package yet)

It's IMO important to have that process working, since the PI4 is work-in-progress.
Valuable updates pop up frequently.

While you are at it. Once more:

Have a look at the VLI USB controller firmware. I also mentioned that earlier.

That one also needs to be maintained and uploaded now!!
And that one is IMO also quite important.
E.g. Upgrading to the latest firmware saved me 100mA idle - due to new powersaving faetures.
Last edited by soundcheck on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
soundcheck

Postby moonman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:46 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('soundcheck', 'T')he bootloader is kept in the eeprom on the RPI 4. I mentioned that earlier.
It no longer resides under /boot

It now requires rpi-eeprom to upload the bootloader.

It's actually bootcode.bin that is not required on RPi4 from the raspberrypi-bootloader package. The rest from the same package is still required.
Try removing the package and your rpi won't boot up.
moonman
Developer

Postby soundcheck » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 am

crosspost. see my earlier post.
soundcheck

Postby moonman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('soundcheck', 'T')hat one also needs to be maintained and uploaded now!!

I think you need to relax a little as you seem overly excited.
Thanks for mentioning it, but I'm sure our users can manage without this (officially optional) update, or update manually.
moonman
Developer

Postby soundcheck » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:26 am

For sure I'm not overly excited... :x
Let's put aside that I have to repeat myself... :x

I'm quite disappointed that a. there's no aarch64 package yet and b. I have to dig it (it = IMO basics) out all myself. I'm doing it anyhow. Fair enough. We're in ARCH land. ;)

Fact is - ALARM aarch64 needs quite some adaptations and enhancements to be properly compliant with the Pi4.

And. No. I do not consider these firmware updates optional, considering what comes with them. The PI4 is a complete
different animal and once again: not-yet-ready == work-in-progress.

Anyhow. Enough of that. I made my point.

Enjoy.
soundcheck

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv8