[SOLVED] RPi 4- aarch64 enable USB early in boot process

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Re: [SOLVED] RPi 4- aarch64 enable USB early in boot process

Postby mrtux » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:36 am

It is indeed, it only takes about 5 minutes to build! I added the stuff the gentoo wiki says is required for Luks, let me know if it is what is required or if you need some other stuff in there as well. As far as your USB issues go, are you using a powered external enclosure for your SSD? If you are not, that is most certainly the root cause of the issue. The Pi powersupply won't give full power to video and all usb devices if you have too much drawing power, it isn't a super hefty psu, you may want to consider getting a good USB-C type card that has usb, and it's own powersupply. Although if you are not currently using a powered drive enclosure, that should solve your issue. I also recall reading somewhere you can use the gpio pins to add power, may also be something to look into.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2adrmtna5p7nx ... ar.gz?dl=0
There is also the newer uboot on dropbox here, but it is bundled with an older kernel.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2a4f5d9dawn2 ... ar.gz?dl=0
Good luck, and let me know how it goes for you.
mrtux

Postby sHAsHiLx » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:33 am

On my Raspberry Pi 4 8Gb - if I only added pcie_brcmstb - nothing changes to device - USB not working at all and in addition - network now working too. Found workaround from here that will bring back network back and I even can ssh to device. But still no luck with USB (attached USB-SATA not seeing and USB keyboard not work).

My modules for now is
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'MODULES=(pcie_brcmstb bcm_phy_lib broadcom mdio_bcm_unimac genet)')
sHAsHiLx

Postby mrtux » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:43 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sHAsHiLx', 'O')n my Raspberry Pi 4 8Gb - if I only added pcie_brcmstb - nothing changes to device - USB not working at all and in addition - network now working too. Found workaround from here that will bring back network back and I even can ssh to device. But still no luck with USB (attached USB-SATA not seeing and USB keyboard not work).

My modules for now is
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'MODULES=(pcie_brcmstb bcm_phy_lib broadcom mdio_bcm_unimac genet)')

Which version of uboot are you using? Have you tried one of the newer ones posted here? The 8GB often needs a later .dtb file to be replaced, you can find info on that here https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14734&start=10 And solutions others have come up with for the 8gb version.
mrtux

Postby Praxis » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:29 pm

Been waiting on the official release of the next ArchArm after uboot had been updated in the repos.

It hit today. USB booting is still not functional on aarch64 archarm.

Changing the root to /dev/sda2 and the boot to /dev/sda1 everywhere doesnt make a difference. It dumps to a rootfs shell and the usb keyboard doesnt work there.

I dont get why manjaro can have usb booting aarch64 for many months but arch cant seem to make it functional.

Edit got it to work after making an whole 'nother installation on an SD card and using arch-chroot to add the USB modules and remake the initcpio

> 5) edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and add pcie_brcmstb to MODULES i.e MODULES=(pcie_brcmstb)
> 6) mkinitcpio -P
Praxis

Postby imabuddha » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:39 pm

I've been studying these forums, the wiki, https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=53 (and other forums there), and many (many) pages in the official Arch wiki in preparation for installing 64 bit Arch ARM on my Pi 4 (8GB) for the past few days.

While I'm grateful for the many people who work/worked on this project, and those who've posted about their experiences getting it working, what I think would help tremendously is if the installation instructions (https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-4) were kept up to date. Since getting everything working (as far as possible, HW video decoding still isn't in 64 bit right?) is significantly different for the 64 bit version I think it's time for a new set of instructions specific to it rather than the 2 lines at the bottom of the page.

Please don't take this as criticism or complaining, I'm only try to provide a suggestion. I'll be keeping notes when I attempt installation (probably beginning tomorrow) & I'd be happy to share them with whoever is able to edit the installation page if/when I'm successful. My plan is to use the micro sd card initially, and once (if?) everything is working to my satisfaction I'll move it to my usb3 ssd, replacing the official Rpi 32 bit OS which I've been using thus far. I have a large list of stuff to install/configure, so unless I get stuck early on with the base install I hope to have it done within a week.

Please wish me luck.
imabuddha

Postby slimb » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Thanks to everyone who shared tips on how to get this working

My notes:
1) Full system upgrade was a must - I did this from a chroot. I tried getting away with just updating `mkinitcpio.conf` then `mkinitcpio -P`, but was getting an error that popped up and disappeared real fast that said "Bus xhci_pci: probe failed, error -100". The full system upgrade seemed to fix this, but not sure why.

2) I found this to add `dtparam=sd_poll_once` to your `config.txt` to reduce "Timeout waiting for hardware cmd interrupt" journal spam. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/is ... -652581688
But I'm not sure it did anything for me. It would be nice to get rid of this error without having to plug in an sd card as a workaround, if anyone knows how please share.

3) I got booted fine with just the `pcie_brcmstb` module in `mkinitcpio.conf`, didn't need any of the other ones mentioned in this thread. I also didn't confirm that this was actually needed. Will update the post if I get to test it.

4) I didn't need to install any aur package. `uboot-raspberrypi` and `linux-aarch64` seems to already provide everything including `bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb`

5) No luck getting USB keyboard to work in linux, although it does work in the bootloader. I see `xhci_hcd` errors in `dmesg`.
EDIT: USB keyboard is now working after installing latest uboot (uboot-raspberrypi) from source!! https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot
So you can update your uboot-raspberrypi manually or wait for uboot team to release final uboot 2021.04.
slimb

Postby bansheerubber » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:38 pm

I was having the same problem and following slimb's steps worked for me. Edit: I was previously running Manjaro since that gave me a working keyboard, but it didn't seem to giving me a working wlan0 (wifi connection was intermittent, sometimes wouldn't connect to wifi at all). Before I followed slimb's steps, my raspberry pi 4 was refusing to even show wlan0 in ip link, but the steps seems to have fixed that and the intermittent connection.

Reason why I'm posting is because I have two raspberry pi 4's -- one of them doesn't have this USB issue and works completely fine just by following the installation instructions on https://archlinuxarm.org/. They're both the 2gb version and both run from SD cards and both are on the September 2020 EEPROM. Anyone know why only one of them has the USB issue? If you need any information about the pi's feel free to ask and I'll post.
bansheerubber

Postby JRCharney » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Quick question, as it has relevance to aarch64 and u-boot and what not: Did you figure out how to get the GPIO working again?

I just spent the last week in limbo after doing something really dumb (removing u-boot, NEVER DO THAT!) on the assumption that this would finally get the GPIO pins working, which ended with my Pi4 never getting past the rainbow screen.

This was after I did install some package via yay that supposedly enabled GPIO, but ended out making the screen spit out some random DOS glyphs or locking up after the u-boot menu.

I almost spent the entire weekend writing a tutorial on how to install ALARM (with some things that are not on the ALARM webpage including getting sudo and user name and host names reconfig) for a 32-bit system because of some bad reddit post.

So can we clairfy what I'm supposed to do here? I'd like to install a Pi-Hat that keeps my Pi 4 cool without spending the next 48 hours waiting for an answer only to spend the next 48 hours doing an rsysnc and dd on a MicroSD card that didn't need it.
JRCharney

Postby soymos » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:17 pm

Hi, thanks for sharing. I was able to boot from usb-ssd and wanted to share something that wasn´t mentioned. My problem was with adapter: https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... sh-drives/ so I needed quirks. Other that that rapberry kernel simplify things. Thanks and good luck!
soymos

Previous

Return to ARMv8