[SOLVED] RPi 4- aarch64 enable USB early in boot process

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Re: [SOLVED] RPi 4- aarch64 enable USB early in boot process

Postby mrtux » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:38 pm

I think once the uboot is updated in the offical repos it may be enough, however adding PCIE_BRCMSTB to your conf file won't hurt since it is required for usb on the Pi.
mrtux

Postby mrtux » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:48 am

For anyone interested, the 5.8.14 kernel and uboot-2020.10 packages were updated here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2a4f5d9dawn20h/linux-slim-5.8.14-uboot-2020.10.tar.gz?dl=0
mrtux

Postby Tota » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:34 am

I'm about to give up, cannot get it to work (headless). RPi 4GB v1.2

1) Make sure the RPi4 firmware supports USB boot (000137ad or above; latest 000138a1) -> use the "stable" distribution. Using the AUR rpi-eeprom package (through an SD card with moonman's aarch64).
2) follow the official guide for aarch64 and prepare the SSD (other machine)
3) connect SSD to the RPi4 + SD card with aarch64 (moonman's kernel in my case) and chroot into the freshly installed SSD
4) finish the official guide and do a full system update
5) edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and add pcie_brcmstb to MODULES i.e MODULES=(pcie_brcmstb)
6) run mkinitcpio -P
7) edit /boot/boot.txt and add the new root partition to root= e.g. root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXXXXXX (run blkid to get the partuuid)
8) run ./mkscr
9) install uboot 2020.10 provided by mrtux (thank you)

Shut down, remove sd card, boot again. Power led is on, ACT led is off, network leds are on but do not flicker. RPi is listed in the DHCP client list, so it is booted?, cannot ping, NMAP reports the host as up:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'nmap -v -sn -Pn [IP RPi]
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2020-10-18 09:54 CEST
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 09:54
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 09:54, 0.01s elapsed
Nmap scan report for [IP RPi]
Host is up.
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.01 seconds')
cannot ssh, cannot ping.

I also tried to delay the systemd-networkd service to get the network up but it had no effect.

Disconnect power, put SD card back in, boot, chroot, journalctl -m is empty. I do not have a serial console to attach. Not sure it is a boot/network issue.

Anything i have missed?

(i had USB boot working using moonman's kernel without issues but since he dropped support i wanted to switch to the official release; regrets)

Sources:
- this thread
- viewtopic.php?t=14742
- viewtopic.php?t=14774
Tota

Postby mrtux » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:58 am

It looks to me like you have all required steps, do you have an hdmi cable you can plug in to see what it is doing? I have had issues with the ethernet and instead of finding the proper fix, I have dhcpcd enabled for the ethernet and that solved my network issues. There is a proper fix for it though. So are you leaving the SD card out and using the SSD solely for booting? I personally use the SD card only for /boot. I find it to be the most reliable setup. I uploaded the 5.9.1 kernel if you would like to try it, but it sounds like you have it most likely booting, just perhaps a network issue. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl9ed6v3puaqgoe/linux-slim-pi-5.9.1.tar.gz?dl=0
mrtux

Postby Tota » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Unfortunately no way of connecting a screen, SSD only (SD card not inserted). I have tried to revert to an older systemd version (245.6-8), since this gave me some network issues in the past, but it did not help.

If i boot from SD card everything works fine (moonman's alarm version, so no uboot).
Last edited by Tota on Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tota

Postby kuestess » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi all, just posting this in hopes it will help someone else. I struggled with this as well and what finally worked was adding `xhci-hcd xhci-pci` to modules in mkinitcpio.conf. I also followed @livello instructions to build uboot-raspberrypi-rc from the first page - it installed some additional dependencies that the build from @mrtux didn't. Hope this helps!
kuestess

Postby Tota » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it did not seem to have any effect (for me). I also tried to re-generate fstab using: genfstab -U -p / | less, alas it had no effect either.

Did anyone get it working with just and SSD through USB boot?
Tota

Postby mopacax » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:15 am

I got booting from usb working* by arch-chroot'ing into root before the `mv root/boot/* boot` step in the install instructions. Then adding `pcie_brcmstb` to mkinitcpio.conf, doing a full system upgrade, installing https://aur.archlinux.org/uboot-raspberrypi4-rc, editing fstab and /boot/boot.txt with the ssd's PARTUUID and running mkscr.
The only problem I had was a message would pop up "mmc1: Timeout waiting for hardware cmd interrupt" ... but keeping a blank sd card inserted stops it. Hope this helps
mopacax

Postby Tota » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:25 am

Tried mopacax's solution but did not work (thanks for the suggestion though), somewhere in the process i also corrupted the EEPROM. Could not even get SD cards to work any more. Repaired the EEPROM with rpi-imager and installed Raspberry PI OS beta 64bit; works like a charm now.
After restoring the EEPROM i first tried a couple of times again with the alarm + SSD USB boot and SD card but could not get it to work and corrupted the EEPROM again (i presume by powering it how by disconnecting the power supply at the wrong moment?).

I presume it is something on my end but either way i will use Raspberry Pi OS for the next half year i suppose and hope everything is "resolved" by then on alarm's side.

(having it in headless it not helpful since it might be something very simple going wrong but it is currently a "complete" blackbox for me)

For network issues also see:
- viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14806
-> https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/is ... -721030032
- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14841
Tota

Postby cadilhac » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:46 am

Well it is a very slim kernel :D Would you mind including dm-crypt for the unlucky among us who jumped onto the Luks bandwagon without understanding the full consequences of their actions?

I'm also quite close to just giving up. I've never managed to have everything working up, in particular video + usb. Some USB devices just freeze after some time (keyboard; weirdly enough, USB sound card is OK), no clue why…
cadilhac

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv8