[SOLVED] RPi 4- aarch64 enable USB early in boot process

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Re: [SOLVED] RPi 4- aarch64 enable USB early in boot process

Postby mrtux » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:13 am

I have a 5.8.10 kernel built as a package, and I can also provide you with the rc uboot package. Would you be interested in trying them to see if they resolve your issue?
mrtux

Postby cadilhac » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:36 pm

Sure thing @mrtux, thanks!---not clear where I'd have failed to produce the exact same packages, but it's worth a shot! I was about to look into Manjaro's kernel & bootloader compilation at this point, because it works flawlessly (but I'm not into bloated distribs). I might just use their /boot, and the rest from the aarch64 tarball...
cadilhac

Postby mrtux » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:42 pm

Oh yeah you can pull the config from the manjaro kernel if you wanted, it's 4.19 or something like that. I will get those for you when I get home from work. I can either put them on Dropbox, or you can add the repo to your pacman.conf and install them via pacman. I update them once a week but currently have the site setup to only allow local up addresses. Whichever you prefer I can do for you.
mrtux

Postby mrtux » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 pm

You should backup your /boot first though just in case you have any issues withe kernel or configuration. Are you using an SSD for your boot drive?
I also tried switching the bootloader back to the raspberry bootloader, and you can do that and do away with uboot. It is easier to install the rc uboot and use it that way though. It seems a little faster to boot.
mrtux

Postby cadilhac » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Thanks for your support! I'm currently running the /boot of Manjaro, that comes with 5.4.51-2-MANJARO-ARM, from:

https://manjaro.org/downloads/arm/raspb ... de-plasma/

Any attempt at using U-Boot seems to fail at this point, and I couldn't figure out to mix-and-match the raspberry bootloader (that Manjaro uses?) and the kernel provided by linux-aarch64; you mention switching back to the vanilla bootloader, how does that work?

I'm not using an SSD (yet!)
cadilhac

Postby mrtux » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:40 am

Yeah you can use the original bootloader with this kernel, if you copy manjaros cmdline.txt file, and then rename the Image to kernel8.img like manjaro uses, then you will need an initramfs file. If you install this kernel I will link you, you could use those files and just rename the Image to Kernel8.img (I think that is what manjaro uses, you'd have to verify in the cmdline.txt. Then you would need to copy the overlays folder and it would be used in place of the dtbs folder, but to be proper they would need to be build against the 5.8.10 kernel which is not currently done since i am using the uboot method still. I found it to be fine once USB is working. Make a backup of your /boot to somewhere you will remember, and somewhere you can access if the Pi is un-bootable for whatever reason. This kernel WILL replace the linux-aarch64, so you would need to uninstall my kernel and reinstall the linux-aarch64 package if you want to use the arch provided mainline kernel. I only use my pi headless with no gui, so you'll have to let me know if there is any issues. I may have to add the modules in for sound again. If you're up for trying it, and it solves your issues we can make sure it will work for you, or you can copy the config while you are booted on the kernel with zcat /proc/config.gz > kernelconfig, and modify it to build your own kernel. I cross compile my kernels and the Pi runs the repository for my other computers. Give it a shot, and let me know if it is working. If you are only using an SD card, you can just cd into your boot directory after install the kernel (before rebooting) and run ./mkscr to generate the uboot image. If you are using a different device rather than the second partition on your SD card, you will need to change the boot.txt file to your root drive. I point to mine with the UUID. As long as you make a backup, you will be able to restore what you have now if things don't workout how you'd like. I put them on dropbox for now for anyone that would like to try them. If you end up liking it, we can set you up so you can just use pacman to update the kernel. I usually build them on thursdays when the kernels typically are updated. Surely you know, but after you download them, use pacman -U *.pkg.tar.xz to install all three of them, or you can do them individually, your choice.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwc236qdun21o ... ar.gz?dl=0
mrtux

Postby mrtux » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:47 am

I should probably also add, the kernel is only setup for the RPi 4, pretty much all other support for other soc devices and drivers have been removed.
mrtux

Postby cadilhac » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:25 am

Thanks again mrtux! With your precious help, I managed to get your kernel—and linux-aarch64—running with USB. It seems that on my device, uboot was the limiting factor. By renaming the image to kernel8.img and creating the ramdisk, as you suggested, the USB is up and running! Just splendid, thanks again!

Now to find what can be done to run some 1080p youtube/netflix without stuttering, as some cool kids seem to be able to do, and that'd be a half decent media server! :lol:

EDIT: Some more info on the USB problem to start with; some pages report that the 8G version of the RPi4 had no USB before Linux 5.8, this was fixed there: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/5/998 ; as far as I can see, the linux-aarch64-rc package covers that.
cadilhac

Postby mrtux » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:29 pm

That's great to hear! I am glad it is working good for you now. Does the kernel work okay? Did you have any issues with sound? I am going to build the new versions today, I can add some modules back into the kernel if they are useful to you. I originally got my Pi to use as a media center and gave up on it. There is no 1080p netflix on any unoffical device as far as netflix/hulu etc go, due to widevine support. However, I was able to get 1080p youtube working without stuttering with some chromium flags. The only real issue I had with that, was it always worked better to pause the video and then make it fullscreen and resume the video. I ended up just purchasing a Roku stick for all that other crap, and use the Pi for other useful things to me, such as a Plex server. If you need anything, let me know!
mrtux

Postby Tota » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:55 am

U-boot 2020.10 has been released, https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot- ... 00348.html so once the ALARM package updates it should work out of the box right? Or is the PCIE_BRCMSTB module also still required?
Tota

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv8