how to vc4 graphics on aarch64 pi4?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

how to vc4 graphics on aarch64 pi4?

Postby hopchis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:22 am

I installed a new archlinux on my pi4 per the instructions on the installation page at https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/broadcom/raspberry-pi-4

At the bottom of the page, on the option to install 64 bit, it states "This installation has near full support for the device, including the VC4 graphics."

I took that to mean that it has support for the VC4 graphics, and that helps make near full support for the device. Perhaps I misread it and it is meant to mean the VC4 support is nearly full, but isn't. If it doesn't work, please let me know. However, if it does, I can't figure out how to get there.

On other installations onto the pi4, including previous archlinux installations I've put on there, enabling the driver involves putting a line into the config.txt file in the /boot folder where there are a few variations to the line whether trying to use kms, a fkms, or a version specifically for the pi4. I've tried them and nothing seems to get the driver up and going. Startx consistently fails with no screens found. /dev/dri does not exist and I believe it should exist with files in it related to the graphics device. If there is another way to get this going on this ARM installation of archlinux, I can't find it. If the old way is still the right way, I'm perplexed as to why it isn't working. I would really appreciate some help to point me in the right direction.
hopchis

Re: how to vc4 graphics on aarch64 pi4?

Postby solskogen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:57 pm

If you really need them I think going for Manjaro is better.
solskogen

Postby hopchis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:27 pm

I know its easy to point in another direction, and I understand why you make your suggestion, but no. I've done Manjaro with a pi4 before. Didn't like it at all for a variety of reasons. Hell, over the last 20 years I've probably tried every Linux distro out there and outside of a pure ArchLinux installation I haven't been happy with any of them--except maybe LFS, but that takes far too much effort to properly maintain. No, I'm asking about getting an ArchLinux installation working because that is the installation I am going to use.

I know there is some community created 64 bit image for the pi4 that works that is a nice ArchLinux install without any of the odd or strange and inexplicable conventions other distributions use to taint the OS so I'll go find that if needed. I was using that on the pi before my wife managed to splash curry onto it and (fortunately no more than) corrupt the microSD card. I only put the official 64 bit install on because the webpage said it could be done, and very much made it sound like the video driver would work. That is the part I am trying to figure out. If anyone knows how--please, do tell. Otherwise I'll just find the unofficial one again and reflash the card with it.
hopchis

Postby solskogen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:53 pm

I see your point, and I get you.

In that case, you can just use the kernel from the unofficial 64bit version. No need to reflash.
Install the pkgs from https://olegtown.pw/Public/ArchLinuxArm/RPi4/ (both firmware and kernel) and you should be fine.
solskogen

Postby cadilhac » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:40 am

I'm very much still struggling with this. I could get /dev/dri to show up, but MESA seems to still be using llvmpipe (according to glxgears -info). I've recompiled MESA with as much stuff as I could check (v3d, vc4), although I'm pretty sure it was already compiled with it. Not sure at all what's at play here...
cadilhac

Postby iohzrd » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:50 pm

I'd really appreciate an answer to this as well.

As mentioned in the OP,
The aarch64 installation doc states "This installation has near full support for the device, including the VC4 graphics.",
So I assumed I would be able to enable it via config.txt, but quickly figured out that config.txt has no effect.

I know it's doable because I've tested the manjaro-sway image for rpi4, which is also aarch64, and it works well. But it appears they are actually using config.txt.

I'm sure with enough snooping around I could figure out how they're doing it, but it'd be nice if someone could save me the time.
I've thoroughly searched around and found nothing but references to config.txt
Does anyone know how to enable vc4-fkms-v3d on aarch64?
iohzrd

Postby solskogen » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 pm

It's because ALARM uses the mainline kernel, while Manjaro is using the kernel from Raspberry Pi OS. Mainline kernel doesn't come with the fkms/kms driver.
solskogen

Postby ptr » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:16 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('solskogen', 'I')t's because ALARM uses the mainline kernel, while Manjaro is using the kernel from Raspberry Pi OS. Mainline kernel doesn't come with the fkms/kms driver.

And there is the problem. Where is the problem using the fucking (sorry) Rpi Mainline Kernel in the Archlinuxarm repo?
I mean, i love arch, use in on every device. But in there arm aarch64 (usbboot), i feel mostly trolled by them.
i dont know.

After my first use of manjaro minimal, i was suprised. No bug, no errors nothing and also using the 5.10-rc5 kernel.
But Manjaro is Manjaro and Arch is Arch.
ptr

Postby graysky » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:25 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('ptr', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('solskogen', 'I')t's because ALARM uses the mainline kernel, while Manjaro is using the kernel from Raspberry Pi OS. Mainline kernel doesn't come with the fkms/kms driver.

And there is the problem. Where is the problem using the fucking (sorry) Rpi Mainline Kernel in the Archlinuxarm repo?
I mean, i love arch, use in on every device. But in there arm aarch64 (usbboot), i feel mostly trolled by them.
i dont know.

After my first use of manjaro minimal, i was suprised. No bug, no errors nothing and also using the 5.10-rc5 kernel.
But Manjaro is Manjaro and Arch is Arch.

I have been experimenting with the rpi-5.10.y branch on RPi4 for aarch64. You are welcome to contribute/test. https://github.com/graysky2/PKGBUILDs/commits/5.10.y

My goal is to get hw-accel kodi working under aarch64.

As to the mainline kernel package, I do not know what the future may hold. When 5.10.y goes to default, in principal, armv7h and aarch64 based on that could be a thing together with mainline. Comes down to how many kernels the project wants to maintain.

As it stands now, from my github/5.10.y branch, you can build the kernel, firmware, and bootloader and just install those packages on your existing aarch64 install and it works. I got kodi vanilla (no hw accel) to build and to run. Next step is to get hardware accel working if possible.

EDIT: I put my builds on repo-ck. Feel free to try them there rather than building yourself: http://repo-ck.com/aarch64-test/
graysky
Developer

Postby graysky » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:32 pm

I am happy to report that I have both the kernel package and kodi-rbp4-git working now with HEVC hw accel.

You can grab the packages to test for yourself: http://repo-ck.com/aarch64-test/
Or build your own:
Kernel/bootloader/firmware: https://github.com/graysky2/PKGBUILDs/commits/5.10.y
Kodi: https://github.com/graysky2/PKGBUILDs/c ... di-aarch64

Just install the kernel, bootloader, and firmware on a functional aarch64 image. Note that I made no effort to rename the firmware and bootloader packages. Mine are getting pulled from the next branch from upstream.
graysky
Developer

Next

Return to ARMv8