Can't connect to ROCK64 after recompiling kernel

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Can't connect to ROCK64 after recompiling kernel

Postby aYmnq2ZgvU2jSv57 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:59 am

I need AppArmor support, but the linux-aarch64 kernel in the repos doesn't support it (Side question: Shouldn't it support AppArmor, since Arch Linux does?). So I recompiled it as so:

1. Installed base-devel and cloned https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs repository
2. Edited the config file and did updpkgsums
3. Ran makepkg -crs
4. Installed the new package with pacman -U

It seems to have no errors during installation, but upon reboot I can't connect to it via SSH or ping it. The lights are working normally (when the kernel is running it'll be blinking red), I can't tell what's wrong with it.

The diff between the stock kernel and my kernel /proc/config.gz is the same except that I added apparmor support.

I needed to restore from my backup of /boot to get it back to stock kernel and working again.

I also recompiled uboot-rock64, but that didn't do help.

I also tried removing the autodetect hook from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, but that didn't help, also tried adding stmmac to the list of modules but that didn't help. (I am using an encrypted root (/) setup, but I also tried editing my boot.txt/boot.scr to boot to the unencrypted partition with the /boot backup I had that didn't have remote ssh, but I couldn't ssh into it or ping it still, so please don't say its because of my encrypted root (/) setup.)

Please help, I'm at the point where I don't know whats wrong with it or how to fix it anymore. The mainline kernel doesn't support HDMI display for ROCK64, so I can't use that to debug. I can't use serial or something like that.

On a side note, I noticed when I installed my kernel, mkinitcpio said it was version 5.8.0 even though the package says it's 5.8.9, also in /lib/modules, everything that said 5.8.9 was replaced with 5.8.0. I fixed it by editing the PKGBUILD so instead of patching linux-5.8.0.tar.xz with patch-5.8.9.tar.xz, it gets linux-5.8.9.tar.xz. I thought this may be the problem but it wasn't, I still get the same issue. I hope that is not because the developers don't use their own PKGBUILD? :shock: Maybe I am doing something wrong.
aYmnq2ZgvU2jSv57

Return to ARMv8