Raspberry Pi 4B Aarch64 Audit and Audio Issues rpi

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Raspberry Pi 4B Aarch64 Audit and Audio Issues rpi

Postby steadybright » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:23 pm

Hello,

About a month ago, I installed aarch64 on a Raspberri Pi 4B using the instructions here at the alarm site. I then updated using the instructions at @graysky 's repo-ck site. All worked well.

Over the weekend, I installed aarch64 on another rpi 4b. I'm having a couple of issues.

1. My previous installation added several lines to the /boot/config.txt file. In the new installation, the only line added to this file is "enable_uart=1". I found that this has been sufficient to get a nearly functional system (I haven't gotten audio to work yet; see #5 below). I suspect this is because I need to add some line to the /boot/config.txt file. More on that...

2. The /boot/overlays folder is missing from this new install. Is that by design? Did the overlay files move, or are they not needed any longer? The README file in this folder was a nice reference, I think.

3. The /boot/cmdline.txt file also was not created. Is it no longer needed?

4. The (now missing) /boot/cmdline.txt file is where I added "audit=0" to stop the audit messages from flooding my terminal. Is there another way to to do this now?

5. Following my install last month, everything worked. It was great. With this new install, I cannot get audio to work. Is it likely due to one of the "missing" files above? I know I haven't provided much in the way of detail to troubleshooting my audio issue, but I'm hoping that the answers to the above will solve this issue. I'm happy to provide more details if needed.

Thank you for your help!

sb
steadybright

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B Aarch64 Audit and Audio Issues rpi

Postby graysky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:28 pm

These are different kernels with different requirements for bootloaders. Differences are to be expected. Not sure about your audio issue. I haven't run linux-aarch64 on RPi4 in a while. I need video hardware decoding that linux-raspberrypi4 provides.
graysky
Developer

Postby steadybright » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Duh! How did I miss that?

After a tweak to my /etc/fstab (changed /dev/mmcblk1p1 to /dev/mmcblk0p1), I'm now up and running with linux-raspberrypi4 kernel.

My RTC is now recognized and working again and audit messages are now suppressed in my terminal.

However, I still do not have sound. What I've tried:
1. Verified that dtparam=audio=on line is in my /boot/config.txt file
2. Verified that my Master channel is unmuted via alsamixer
a. I have no PCM channel, and the HDMI channels have no settings that I can modify
2. Ran speaker-test -c 2. Out put of that (no sound though):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'speaker-test 1.2.4

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 96 to 1048576
Period size range from 32 to 349526
Using max buffer size 1048576
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 262144
was set buffer_size = 1048576
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 10.971393
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 10.966199
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right')
etc.

In Xfce, the system believes it's delivering sound, but I hear nothing through my headset plugged into the RPi 4B audio jack via:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)')
On port: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Digital Output (S/PDIF)')

I can start a new thread for the audio issue, but thought I'd add to this for now.

thank you for any help/suggestions.

sb
People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway.
steadybright

Postby graysky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:37 pm

I do not run a desktop on my RPi4. I did play with it a while ago. I shared the summary of it in this thread. I don't have any insights beyond that little bit.
graysky
Developer

Postby steadybright » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:07 pm

This is a system sound problem, not just in a desktop environment.

Both of the below commands and outputs are from the identical RPi 4B hardware. I only swapped SDCards.

The top output (the one with working audio) is booting from an SDCard that I created a month ago using the linux-raspberrypi4 kernel at repo-ck.

The bottom output (doesn't work; missing bcm2835 device and headphone device) is from the install I completed a few days ago, using the linux-raspberrypi4 kernel, now in the official repositories.

In the working install, I see:
$ aplay -l
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3')

In the new install (non-functional audio), I see::
$ aplay -l
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: vc4hdmi0 [vc4-hdmi-0], device 0: MAI PCM vc4-hdmi-hifi-0 [MAI PCM vc4-hdmi-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM vc4-hdmi-hifi-0 [MAI PCM vc4-hdmi-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0')

I'm trying to sort out why the new install cannot "see" the bcm2835 audio. Because it can't see this, I have no audio, neither at the command prompt nor in a desktop environment.

In both installs:
1. The user is a member of the audio group
2. The vc4 overlay lines are identical
3. The dtparam=audio=on lines are in bopth /boot/config.txt files.

And other than audio not working on the newer install, both installs work as expected.

I appreciate any help on this. I am stumped.

sb
steadybright

Postby robg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Note that I have started a thread regarding audio issues on the Pi 4B. I am currently also running linux-raspberrypi4 (the package from the official repo) and also only see the vc4hdmi driver. While plain alsa fails to produce any sound (the symptoms are the ones you have described), it does work with pulseaudio. Can you check if this also applies to you? Since the packages `linux-raspberrpi4` and `raspberrypi-bootloader{-x}` are unmodified upstream packages and sound on Raspberry Pi OS works, I plan to check if the latter includes any specific sound settings that can also be applied to Arch.
robg

Postby steadybright » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll move the no audio part of this discussion to the new thread, since everything else is working, except audio now:

https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15070
steadybright

Postby graysky » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:24 pm

graysky
Developer

Postby robg » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:26 pm

In the RPI Forum thread you have linked to, a firmware change is given as the reason for the audio issues and a fixed is promised with the next update. I suppose we should wait for said update to hit the Arch repos and reassess the situation then.
The common issue in this thread seems to be that instead of the bcm2835 driver, only vh4hdmi is recognized and loaded. I am not sure to what extent this relates to the issue in the RPI Forum thread.
robg

Postby graysky » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:06 pm

What the link to the firmware update you mentioned? 20 pages of a thread there.
graysky
Developer

Next

Return to ARMv8