Odroid C2 / aarch64 5.10 / boot issues

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Odroid C2 / aarch64 5.10 / boot issues

Postby VanDisaster » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi,

I have a C2 as a headless server which has been happy on aarch64 for some years, until 5.10 appeared ( specifically when I upgraded the release package was 5.10.10-1 ).

I realiise -

* The C2 is EoL
* this is not a supported kernel even if it wasn't EoL

but up to & including 5.8 I'd had zero issues. Trying to boot 5.10.10-1 gave me a heartbeat blue LED, but no display & no network, and as I don't have a UART-USB converter I couldn't check the console - but from plugging the eMMC card into a reader on a different box & looking at the system journal I could see it wasn't writing there either. I downgraded back to 5.8 via the other box, put the card back & the C2 booted fine again.

So - has anyone booted a C2 with a 5.10 kernel package, and what did you do to do so? if not, could I get some clues to where to fiddle to build a bootable kernel? many years ago I worked on some low level unix projects so I'm not completely clueless, but on the other hand it's been many years since I even built a custom kernel & I'm not sure where I'd start tracing problems like this myself...

If it's a dead parrot then I'll just retire it to something or other ( any suggestions for a replacement with an eMMC card slot taken ), but it's a nice little box for what it's doing.

Thanks in advance.
VanDisaster

Re: Odroid C2 / aarch64 5.10 / boot issues

Postby graysky » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:56 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('VanDisaster', 'T')rying to boot 5.10.10-1 gave me a heartbeat blue LED, but no display & no network

Connected via HDMI gives blank screen?

Have you tried the odroid-c2 forum?
graysky
Developer

Re: Odroid C2 / aarch64 5.10 / boot issues

Postby VanDisaster » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:41 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('graysky', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('VanDisaster', 'T')rying to boot 5.10.10-1 gave me a heartbeat blue LED, but no display & no network

Connected via HDMI gives blank screen?

Have you tried the odroid-c2 forum?

No HDMI signal, no USB, no journal, just the kernel-didn't-panic heartbeat.

I did look at the Odroid forum the first time it failed to boot - no activity in the mainline kernel thread for a month, there was a patch which someone mentioned gave him a partially working unit in 5.10 but that was it - and while there were a couple of threads with similar issues, none seem to be actually relevant.

I'm not really holding out much hope because the C4 is due soon & I can see unofficial development shift to that, but thought I'd ask just in case someone's got it working already.

Thanks.
VanDisaster

Return to ARMv8