Lua support on packages pdns / pdns-recursor is broken

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Lua support on packages pdns / pdns-recursor is broken

Postby plerner » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi,

I primarily run PowerDns (i.e. pdns and pdns-recursor) on my Raspi 4B.
And since PowerDNS >4.4.4 stopped their 32-bit support I wanted to switch to 64-bit i.e. aarch64.

-------------- pdns announcement dropping 32bit support --------------
https://blog.powerdns.com/2021/06/09/po ... -released/
We would also like to announce that with this release we will stop supporting systems using 32-bit time. This includes 32-bit Linux platforms like arm6, arm7, and i386.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pdns and pdns-recursor seemed to work OK on first sight.
BUT I have an integrated *LUA* script for dns adblocking!

And the same script that works flawlessly on 32bit Arch Linux Arm on the same Pi4 / armv7 does not work anymore on the 64bit version / aarch64.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Aug 29 21:08:02 testpi pdns_recursor[8286]: pdns_recursor: ext/luawrapper/include/LuaContext.hpp:107: LuaContext::LuaContext(bool)::<lambda(lua_State*)>: Assertion `false && "lua_atpanic triggered"' failed.
Aug 29 21:08:02 testpi pdns_recursor[8286]: pdns_recursor: ext/luawrapper/include/LuaContext.hpp:107: LuaContext::LuaContext(bool)::<lambda(lua_State*)>: Assertion `false && "lua_atpanic triggered"' failed.
')

Since there seem to be working packages for Raspian 10 Buster from PowerDNS it should be possible to get lua support working again.

https://repo.powerdns.com/
Raspbian 10 (Buster)

In the pdns github repo I found some mentions of a broken luajit package on aarch64.
But it should be possible to compile with lua directly (without jit).
Yes, this comes with some perfomance penalty since lua is "only" interpreted.

But this should get things going again on aarch64. :) :)
So I pledge for this, if it is possible.

Peter
plerner

Return to ARMv8