RPi 400: Error "invalid bus width" during boot w..

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

RPi 400: Error "invalid bus width" during boot w..

Postby mipi » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:13 am

Hi,
I have a new RPi 400. When I boot it with the official alarm aarch64 image, an error "invalid bus width, error -22 wilst initialising SD card" occurs and the boot process is in an endless loop. With the armv7 image this does not happen. I also tried it with another SD card with an alarm aarch64 image which I took out off a ca. 1 year old RPi 4. Booting the RPi 400 from it resulted in the same error. In the older RPi 4, that card works nicely.

Seems that this is this bug. Thus it seems that the hardware of the current models and the current 64bit kernel do not fit to each other.

Did others here observe that bug as well? Any idea how I can circumvent it (except switching to the armv7 image, of course)?

Thanks,
mipi
Last edited by mipi on Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
mipi

Re: RPi 400: Error "invalid bus width" during boot with aarc

Postby graysky » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:09 am

If this is an upstream kernel bug, we are at the mercy of the kernel developers to fix it. The linux-rpi kernel (RPi Foundation code not vanilla upstream) should work and should not exhibit this bug. We have reports of users of the CM400 running it.

Try this:
1. Either use your borked install or create a fresh 64-bit image (this will provide the mainline kernel package name is linux-aarch64)
2. Place the uSD card into a stand alone RPi4 and boot it
3. Swap out the kernel package like this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# pacman -S linux-rpi')

Say yes to both conflicting package questions:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ':: linux-rpi and linux-aarch64 are in conflict (linux). Remove linux-aarch64? [y/N] y
:: linux-rpi and uboot-raspberrypi are in conflict. Remove uboot-raspberrypi? [y/N] y
')

Install these package:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# pacman -S raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-firmware')

Reboot.

If it successfully boots on the stand alone RPi4, insert it into your CM400 and try to boot it.
graysky
Developer

Postby darksky » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:21 pm

I installed upstream arch-arm linux-aarch64 kernel on my image (minus the uboot and some config changes) and it booted ok and all hardware appears to be working. I would say if the issue continues it may be a uboot related issue. I do not see anything wrong with the kernel it's self.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[ray@pi400 ~]$ ls /boot
bootcode.bin dtbs fixup_cd.dat initramfs-linux.img start_cd.elf
cmdline.txt fixup4cd.dat fixup.dat start4cd.elf start_db.elf
cmdline.txt-new fixup4.dat fixup_db.dat start4db.elf start.elf
cmdline.txt-orig fixup4db.dat fixup_x.dat start4.elf start_x.elf
config.txt fixup4x.dat Image start4x.elf
[ray@pi400 ~]$')

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t6uwim ... sp=sharing
darksky

Postby mipi » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:40 am

@graysky: Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I returned the RPi 400 (which was still possible). Thus I cannot try out what you suggest, but will do so as soon as I have the opportunity. Just for my understanding: What you suggest means replacing u-boot by a different bootloader (raspberrypi-bootloader), correct?
mipi

Postby graysky » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:34 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('mipi', 'W')hat you suggest means replacing u-boot by a different bootloader (raspberrypi-bootloader), correct?

Was recommending replacing linux-aarch64 with linux-rpi.
graysky
Developer

Postby mipi » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:28 pm

@graysky: The approach that you proposed worked :D Thanks a lot!
mipi

Re: [SOLVED] RPi 400: Error "invalid bus width" during boot

Postby mervinb » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:10 am

I tried an RPi 400 aarch64 install two weeks back, and hit the invalid bus width issue.

If I understand correctly, as from a few days ago, the linux-rpi kernel is no longer required? Does that mean that I can now load the latest aarch64 install package, and I can expect my Pi400 to boot / install correctly? Thanks.
mervinb

Postby graysky » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:34 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('mervinb', 'I')f I understand correctly, as from a few days ago, the linux-rpi kernel is no longer required? Does that mean that I can now load the latest aarch64 install package, and I can expect my Pi400 to boot / install correctly? Thanks.

You could always run linux-aarch64 or linux-rpi on this device. Whether or not a bug would be present is another matter since both use different bootloaders and code bases.
graysky
Developer

Postby mipi » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:13 am

Hi @graysky,
I wanted to reinstall my Rpi 400. Unfortunately your approach from Dec 4th does not work anymore. The packages that you suggest to install cannot be retrieved.
Before, I installed by SD card with ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz and ArchLinuxARM-aarch64-latest.tar.gz. With the first one I got again the error I originally reported on Dec 4th, with the second one I get errors during boot since firmware is missing.
Do you have any idea how I can solve that?
Thanks, mipi
mipi

Re: RPi 400: Error "invalid bus width" during boot w..

Postby graysky » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:25 pm

Which packages are not available? Output?
graysky
Developer

Next

Return to ARMv8