Unable to USB boot RPI 4 8GB

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Unable to USB boot RPI 4 8GB

Postby dennismccray » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:53 pm

All,

Quite a bit of chatter on this topic. I have a RPi 4 8GB of the C0 stepping variety. I follow the instructions below to prep an SD card: Https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-4

I then boot the system to get the infamous "PARTUUID not found" error which eventually leads to the loop of messaging regarding the pause for an SD card. Following these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15422&p=69120&hilit=addr_r#p69120 to get to a bootable system where I then replace the generic aarch64 kernel with the linux-rpi package. All is well beyond this point assuming I want to stay with an SD card which I do not.

I follow all of the above instructions using my newly minted arch pi to prep a USB key only to be met with the PARTUUID error again. Modifying the boot.txt file does nothing to help. Overwriting the latest dtbs with the ones from RPi's github instance does not help either.

Compiling kernels and various other low level operations are out of my league at this stage. Not as much experience as some of you have. That said, I like Arch for its up-to-date, minimalistic approach, and broad repositories, but I really would like to USB boot my RPI4 with it.

Quite a bit of what I am reading is a year or more old so I am not sure what is applicable or relevant now. I know this is still an issue though. :D So what has worked consistently to be able to USB boot and RPI4 8G model? Below is the error:

Net: eth0: ethernet@7d58000
PCIe BCRM: Link up, 5.0 Gbps x1 (SSC)
starting USB
Bus xhci_pci: Register 5000420 MbrPorts 5
Starting the controller
USB XHCI 1.00
scanning bus xhci_pci for devices... Unexpected XHCI event TRB, skipping... (3afe86a0 00000004 01000000 01008401)

Any help would be appreciated in moving past this. Thanks!
dennismccray

Re: Unable to USB boot RPI 4 8GB

Postby dennismccray » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:36 pm

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15331# Specifically about prepping your installation media then chrooting into it to update it with the latest boot packages.

I opted for the upstream RPI packages or linux-rpi being careful to allow the installation to remove u-boot and the raspberrypi-bootloader. Read some other post where linux-rpi neither uses nor requires either.

You still have to copy what is in the boot directory in your chrooted image to the boot partition of your media after the upgrade. Essentially the mv root/boot/* boot step in the initial media prep. You also have to edit the cmdline.txt to point the root directive at your root partition. In my case it was /dev/sda1.

There you have it! An RPI 4B 8GB USB booted into a clean install of Arch.
dennismccray

Return to ARMv8