Aarch64 don't work on SD Card (but does on USB Stick)

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Aarch64 don't work on SD Card (but does on USB Stick)

Postby Chris45 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:34 am

This is a weird issue, I followed the official instructions from [url]https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/broadcom/raspberry-pi-4#installation[/url] with the only difference that I use tar instead of bsdtar (tho I used it once but there was no difference), yet even after a ton of tries by installing it on a SD Card every time I get the same exact "bug", it's:
Scanning bus xhci_pci for devices... Unexpected XHCI event TRB, skipping...
BUG at drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c:503/abort_td()!
BUG!
[img]https://i.imgur.com/9aWXqZM.jpg[/img]

This is the first thing that shows up when booting, and right after that BUG! line it instantly reboots and repeat all over again, I did try changing U-boot configuration with one that I found here [url]https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=16463[/url] yet I get the same error.
But the WTF part is, I did try with two different SD Cards (Sandisk Ultra HC I and Sandisk Extreme Pro 3 A2) and both displayed that same xhci-ring.c bug, BUT if I install this same Aarch64 on a USB Stick, following the exact instructions but just changing FSTAB to /sda1 it does work perfectly fine, and armv7 works too both on the SD Cards and USB Stick...
Honestly I don't know what to do anymore, now I'm gonna try that Aarch64 that uses linux-rpi instead of u-boot, but any help is welcome.
Right now I don't have a USB SD Card reader, so I'm using my own Raspberry 4b 8GB to do it by running RPI OS on a USB Stick and directly installing it on the SD Card.
Chris45

Re: Aarch64 don't work on SD Card (but does on USB Stick)

Postby Ferdinarm » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:55 pm

I had the same problem, but only when the HDMI was attached.
Without HDMI you must let it boot, and then SSH in, bbut then everything works just fine.
I solved the problem by installing the Raspberry Pi kernel: linux-rpi
After that it boots fine with HDMI.
I think maybe the Raspberry Pi kernel may be the best kernel to use on a Raspberry Pi anyway, as it probably has more people giving it love and care, than any other suitable kernel.
Ferdinarm

Postby jack785 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:09 am

It seems you've encountered a peculiar issue while installing Arch Linux ARM on your Raspberry Pi 4. Despite following the official instructions, you consistently encounter the error message "Unexpected XHCI event TRB, skipping..." and the subsequent reboot loop. This behavior can be quite frustrating, but let's try to troubleshoot it together.
jack785

Postby lategoodbye » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:58 pm

The reported issue seems to be related to U-Boot not the Linux kernel. These are complete different things. So reporting the version of U-Boot would be quite helpful.

Unfortunately the Raspberry Pi guys doesn't support U-Boot development, so this hard work is stick to few people.
lategoodbye

Return to ARMv8