[SOLVED] Raspberry Pi 5: Xorg is broken

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

[SOLVED] Raspberry Pi 5: Xorg is broken

Postby tudbut » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:48 am

Hey all!

I'd like to use hardware accelerated video and game thingies on ALarm, but after a few hours of trying to find drivers, it seems they are *supposed* to simply be in the kernel by default - but I'm still only getting an LLVMPipe renderer. mpv also doesn't find any working hardware acceleration.

I am currently using VNC to connect to the pi. I'll be home again soon, and I have an adapter for microHDMI there - if it works there, I'll update the post. Still, I would generally expect at least hardware decoding to work on VNC since the decoding should be pretty independent from the actual display (but it doesn't).

For reference, the dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi5 parameter is present - that's probably not the issue. I'm using the linux-rpi-16k kernel.

I have now arrived home: The issue is actually much worse with normal Xorg. Starting X immediately causes a crash with EE No screens found. When fbdev is installed, it errors due to an unknown symbol: (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so: undefined symbol: fbdevHWSave. When armsoc-meson is installed, it finds a screen (and correctly detects manufacturer and stuff) but is unable to configure it: Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Is this a known issue, or is my system behaving unexpectedly?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by tudbut on Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tudbut

Re: Raspberry Pi 5: Xorg is broken

Postby tudbut » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:16 pm

Fixed Xorg starting with the following file -->

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-v3d.conf
[code]
Section "OutputClass"
Identifier "vc4"
MatchDriver "vc4"
Driver "modesetting"
Option "PrimaryGPU" "true"
EndSection
[/code]

I took it from Raspberry pi OS.

UNFORTUNATELY: Still no hardware accel. Reason could be that the fbdev driver is still broken.
tudbut

Re: [SOLVED] Raspberry Pi 5: Xorg is broken

Postby tudbut » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:22 pm

I've gotten hardware accel to work on another install. I had forgotten to install linux-rpi-16k headers, and also my /etc dir had some bad configs from the old rpi os install (i had kept some of /etc - no idea what part was causing it).

Installing the headers on the broken system did not fix it, so I'm not remaking /etc (an edit to this will follow soon and say if that fixes it - if not, im doing a clean reinstall).

Edit: yep, a full system reinstall fixed it (even though i reinstalled in-place using pacstrap). It does still need this config file though.
tudbut

Return to ARMv8