Available Hardware with AArch64 software support?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the AArch64 repo.

Available Hardware with AArch64 software support?

Postby cassfalg » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:15 am

I would like to do some ARMv8 Assembler programming and am looking for according hardware.

I originally thought of buying a Raspi 3 (it's what has originally sparked the idea), but if I understand the Raspi 3 Platform description here correctly it has ARMv8 hardware, but no software support for it - and that is not likely to change soon. Correct?

The same article lists the Odroid C2 as alternative. I did not find a reseller in Germany yet, but it could be shipped from the US apparently. This runs arch, in 64 bit mode?

The Juno board looks like a dev board for enterprise development - hard to obtain and likely to be a lot more expensive.

Pine64 does not have a working software support yet, either. So the Odroid C2 is my best bet, currently?
cassfalg

Re: Available Hardware with AArch64 software support?

Postby OlafLostViking » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:07 am

Hi,

how "open" is the C2? I mean we know Mali is a problem, but what about the rest? Do we have firmware problems just like with the Raspberry? Or are all components available in a vanilla kernel?

Thanks!
OlafLostViking

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Currently, it is my opinion that the C2 is your best bet. Other than the Mali, and not running mainline (yet), everything is operational in aarch64 out of the box.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby richt » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Have a look at https://www.96boards.org/

Dragonboard 410c looks very nice, a 4.4 Kernel appears to be available. But very hard to get outside of US for now.
richt

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Make sure to read all reviews of any 96boards device.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby cassfalg » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:32 am

Thanks for the C2 Opinion / confirmation. Anything in particular I should look for in 96boards reviews?

After reading this
http://www.96boards.org/forums/topic/li ... post-10986
I don't think the dragonboard 410 uses a stock kernel. It also has only 1 Gig of Ram. The HiKey Lemaker relaunch sounds interesting since it has an 8 core and 2 Gig ram. But: the Ram seems to be clocked slower, 800 Mhz vs 912 Mhz for the C2. The installation process for the HiKey looks to be more involved, and I would prefer Arch over Debian.
cassfalg

Return to ARMv8