Booting from SATA on Espressobin

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Booting from SATA on Espressobin

Postby klundry » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Is it possible to install to a sata drive and boot directly to it without using a microsd card? Can I at least boot from a micro sd but install the os to the sata? How would I do that?

Is it is as simple as copying the entire contents of my micro sd card to a sata drive then editing the uEnv.txt file on the sd card to point to the sata drive instead?
klundry

Re: Booting from SATA on Espressobin

Postby klundry » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:02 am

Well I tried it and yes, If you just replicate the install instructions using a sata drive instead of a micro sd, then change "/dev/mmcblk0p1" to "/dev/sda1" in uEnv.txt it works and boots from the sata drive.

I'm still not sure if I can boot purely from the sata drive with no sd card inserted or not.
klundry

Re: Booting from SATA on Espressobin

Postby klundry » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:04 am

After much trial and error and comparing the way ubos had the uboot configured I found a line that needed to be tweaked.

this line in uEnv.txt:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'get_images=ext4load scsi 0 $kernel_addr $image_name && ext4load scsi 0 $fdt_addr $fdt_name')

Nees to be changed to:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'get_images=ext4load scsi 0 $kernel_addr $image_name && ext4load scsi 0:1 $fdt_addr $fdt_name')
klundry

Return to ARMv8 Devices