Acer Chromebook R13

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Acer Chromebook R13

Postby mjln » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi,

I've just installed Arch onto my R13.I followed the 'offical' instrucutions. The process was reltively painless.
I then went on and tried to install Mate GUI and lightdm.
Nothing I did could get lightdm to work, so in the end I ditched the whole idea of a manager and found some instructions to get mate started via xinitrc. I'm quite new at this lark - so it it took an hour or so.

So now it all works, apart from the fact that the Applications menu contents deleted themselves when I tried to edit them and I have no idea how to get them back, the menu editor crashes when I try to start it. Not a big problem, and it's not really interfering with much, as at the moment I'm mainly interested in seeing how it all runs.

[Edit] Fixed this by going into /etc/meunus/menuconfig/ and just deleting all the menu files, restartedand and they all came back

It runs pretty well. I've installed Firefox, LibreOffice and geary.
The only real problem I seem to have is that every now and again the system seems to hang for up to a minute or so. No idea why and don't really know how to find out.
[Edit] Watching the system monitor while apps are loading running, RAM seems to well managed, the processor takes a bit of beating but it's a little mediatek, so i guess i shouldn't be surprised when things slow down

Anybody on an R13 experiencing similar issues?
mjln

Return to ARMv8 Devices