[SOLVED] RPi 4B missing /dev/dri/renderD128 aarch64 only

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Re: [SOLVED] RPi 4B missing /dev/dri/renderD128 aarch64 only

Postby WebReflection » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 am

OK, I've updated the top post with the fix viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15577&p=67542#p67542 thanks anyway for your patience.
WebReflection

Re: RPi 4B missing /dev/dri/renderD128 aarch64 only

Postby graysky » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:29 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WebReflection', 'O')K ... I have just realized I am not on linux-raspberrypi4 kernel ... is that mandatory/necessary these days? If that's the case, shouldn't be mentioned on the installation guide? Thanks!

HW acceleration has always required the raspberrypi kernels as these features are not included in the mainline linux kernel.
graysky
Developer

Postby WebReflection » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:50 am

AArch64 Installation
This provides an installation using the mainline kernel and U-Boot. Use this installation only if you have no dependencies on the closed source vendor libraries shipped in the ARMv7 release. This installation has near full support for the device, including the VC4 graphics.

I think the documentation page should add what you just mentioned, because it's not instantly clear that the armv7 version of the Pi 4 will have linux-raspberrypi4 kernel out of the box, or better, full HW acceleration support, while the mainline aarch64 kernel doesn't.

It's also easy to shoot yourself in your foot once you install linux-raspberrypi4, because the /etc/fstab points at a different disk, so the reboot will break.

Accordingly, how can I contribute to update that installation page providing these extra instructions/details? I think many would benefit from it.

P.S. the Raspberry Pi 3 with aarch64 mainline works just fine and it's HW accelerated out of the box ... which is why I think the Pi 4 requires particular attention until it works 100% via mainline kernel (if ever)
WebReflection

Postby justinkb » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:40 pm

I feel like the install guide should just instruct the user to get the UUID of the root and boot partitions via blkid and to put them manually into /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab
justinkb

Previous

Return to ARMv8 Devices