Connect to Raspberry Pi over USB using gadget mode

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Connect to Raspberry Pi over USB using gadget mode

Postby j1simon » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:40 pm

Hi,
I am a total newbie with the Raspberry Pi but I am a long time user of Arch Linux on PC.
I bought a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 2 GB (I haven't received it yet) and I want it to connect to a Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 router to block advertising with Pi-Hole.
I thought about installing Arch because it is a Linux that I know for a long time and I like it. I also wanted to install the AArch64 version to take advantage of the 64 bits of the processor.
The problem is that my router has all the ethernet ports busy. But I found this page (https://howchoo.com/pi/raspberry-pi-gadget-mode) where it explains how to connect the Raspberry using USB as if it were connected by network. But it uses Raspberry Pi OS, could this be done with the Arch version?
Thanks in advance. Regards.
j1simon

Re: Connect to Raspberry Pi over USB using gadget mode

Postby ufo6000 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:57 pm

only in general:
if you follow the "ARMv7 Installation" you will find in /boot both files named in your link, config.txt and cmdline.txt.

In AArch64 Installation, the /boot/config.txt exists too, same syntax, but there is no cmdline.txt. Instead edit /boot/boot.txt and run ./mkscr afterwards to "rebuild" boot.scr.
ufo6000

Re: Connect to Raspberry Pi over USB using gadget mode

Postby summers » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:52 am

If it's a proper usb otg connection,then yes it works. Check my pocket beagle page, and set dhcp server in systemd networkd. I'll post a link when I'm on my desktop.
summers

Return to ARMv8 Devices