rpi zero 2 armv8 install still not possible

This is for ARMv8 based devices

rpi zero 2 armv8 install still not possible

Postby dingausmwald » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:54 am

In the meantime i ask myself if this is on purpose or if just nobody is interested. Since rpi zero2 release it is not possible to install arch linux aarch64 despite instructions stating it is possible.
https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... -pi-zero-2

There is a topic from 11.2021 to 02.2022
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15695

there are some more, even older topics.

The latest ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz is from 10.08.2022 and i (and others) still get stuck on the rainbow screen.

WTF
dingausmwald

Re: rpi zero 2 armv8 install still not possible

Postby JoyL » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:22 pm

Don't worry dude, I've successfully booted archlinux aarch64 on my rpi zero 2 w. ;)
屏幕截图_20230206_223040.png
屏幕截图_20230206_223040.png (12.03 KiB) Viewed 4758 times

If follow the official, you could get a rainbow screen. Now follow the below operation:
$this->bbcode_list('1')
  • Mount your boot partition of SD-Card on any Linux. (Below I will assume the / is the root of the boot partition.)
  • Cp /dtbs/broadcom/bcm2837-rpi-zero-2-w.dtb to /. (This will allow zero to boot into u-boot, but don't be too eager, u-boot will fail to start the kernel because it cannot load the correct .dtb file at this time.)
  • Add setenv fdtfile broadcom/bcm2837-rpi-zero-2-w.dtb line at the beginning of the /boot.txt file, like this:
    $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
    # After modifying, run ./mkscr

setenv fdtfile broadcom/bcm2837-rpi-zero-2-w.dtb

# Set root partition to the second partition of boot device
    part uuid ${devtype} ${devnum}:2 uuid

setenv bootargs console=ttyS1,115200 console=tty0 root=PARTUUID=${uuid} rw rootwait smsc95xx.macaddr="${usbethaddr}"

if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${kernel_addr_r} /Image; then
    if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${fdt_addr_r} /dtbs/${fdtfile}; then
    if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${ramdisk_addr_r} /initramfs-linux.img; then
    booti ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr_r}:${filesize} ${fdt_addr_r};
    else
    booti ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr_r};
    fi;
    fi;
    fi
    ')
  • run ./mkscr
  • Now you should be able to boot ArchLinuxArm aarch64 on your rpi zero 2 w, but my Wi-Fi module is not loaded after booting Arch successfully, this is still a problem. :(
    JoyL

Return to ARMv8 Devices