CPU frequency scaling still not working?

This is for ARMv8 based devices

CPU frequency scaling still not working?

Postby RonnyReporter » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:57 pm

please delete including my account
Last edited by RonnyReporter on Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonnyReporter

Re: CPU frequency scaling still not working?

Postby graysky » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:33 pm

No sure what a NEO2 is... does it have mainline kernel support? Which kernel package are you running? Which scaling governor are you using? Perhaps you need to load ondemand or scheduil to access lower frequencies.
graysky
Developer

Postby RonnyReporter » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:57 am

nvm I gave up
Last edited by RonnyReporter on Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonnyReporter

Postby graysky » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:43 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('RonnyReporter', 'A')t that time OpenWrt also didn't support scaling but now it does. Scaling also works on *BSD but I have no idea how to get it to work in Arch.

If they are available under OpenWRT, they should be under any other distro including Arch ARM. I am not familiar with the extra steps you outlined and if something there is missing. Maybe someone with more experience with other SOCs can comment.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('RonnyReporter', 'I') tried both the 5.x and 6.x-rc aarch64 kernels, both give the same result. I really have no idea what to try next.

If you are compiling your own kernel, are you doing so from linux-aarch64? Try running make nconfig in the PKGBUILD to select a different default governor:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'CPU Power Management ---> CPU Frequency scaling ---> Default CPUFreq governor (ondemand) --->')

Just out of curiosity, if you boot into OW, what does this output look like?
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
uname -a
')

And
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
zcat /proc/config.gz
')

You might need to modprobe a config module to see that. I forget how OW does it.
graysky
Developer

Return to ARMv8 Devices