Support for ThinkPad X13s

This is for ARMv8 based devices

Support for ThinkPad X13s

Postby tobru » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:31 pm

Is the project planning to support the ThinkPad X13s ARM notebook?
tobru

Re: Support for ThinkPad X13s

Postby armurino » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:20 am

I got an X13s and really would like to know too.
From googling it seems that there were reddit threads from june to september about this but then ceased.
I cannot find information on any newer progress than that.
The X13s uses an ARMv8.2-A platform btw (Cortex-X1).
armurino

Postby armurino » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:19 am

I just tried searching (googling) again for ANY traces of linux progress on X13s and all I find are some obscure mailing lists where professional post patches such as x13s-bluetooth and stuff, which seems some kernel related work?

But I can't find ANY actual progress on real distros (even just experimental) to install.
Is ArchlinuxArm interested in any way in the x13s platform or does anyone have ANY information? Is it normal that the www is completely information-starved on a thing like this?

Thinkpad is a major brand, the x13s a really cool novelty, and Linux is huge, why is there absolutely no progress for half a year, even if it's just some experimental ISO or something, that has half-way recent stuff from the past couple weeks or so.
armurino

Postby soren121 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:20 am

Well, it's a community project, none of the Arch ARM developers are paid to work on this...offer to buy one of them a Thinkpad X13s to work on, and you might get some interest.

You might start by pestering Lenovo, y'know, the company that makes the thing? They have a Linux support team there. Tell them you want Linux on this.
soren121

Postby EnigmaCurry » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:17 am

I've got mine booting now, but it requires a custom kernel: https://blog.rymcg.tech/blog/linux/thinkpad-x13s/

Debian also seems to work pretty well: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wux ... 689esafsky (but still also requires a custom kernel build iso)
EnigmaCurry

Postby EnigmaCurry » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:47 am

I tried to use the default `linux-aarch64` kernel image, it already includes the device tree file (sc8280xp-lenovo-thinkpad-x13s.dtb) but I wasnt able to boot with it. It loaded the EFISTUB at least, but it said something like "ERROR: Ignoring DTB from command line" and then the machine was locked up. So theres something still improved in the ironrobin kernel and/or a regression in the default kernel.

BTW, this is one of the reasons why it takes longer to port to an ARM device. ARM requires a DTB file, whereas I never even heard of this on X86. And this is lenovos first laptop based on ARM. Did you see the the Linux option (BETA) in the most recent UEFI update from Lenovo? Its undocumented as of now, but I think more about this is coming directly from lenovo soon.
EnigmaCurry

Return to ARMv8 Devices